We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

Atlanta, Georgia
13 posts
Save Topic
Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

Trying to decide on best route. I will be in both Kingston and Ocho Rios during a 3 week period. Trying to decide from what point I should visit PO. Will be traveling with 2 toddlers...

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

I'm just back from Port Antonio two weeks ago, and came down from Mo Bay through Buff Bay, all along to Reach Falls -- roads were diabolical as soon as you hit PA, huge bits missing, hairpin bends with massive potholes one after another, and that's not even talking about the crazy drivers and people standing in the road. I'm not one for horror stories, but we actually saw the aftermath of two (seemingly minor) accidents - but that was enough! Flooding has made the roads like obstacle courses.

Honestly, get a local driver! They know the roads backwards, will tell you interesting stories, and you get to sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery with peace of mind and more money in your wallet. We got such reasonable rates that we actually saved on car hire (high rates due to insurance). When you make friends with a regular guy, he will help you enjoy your trip so much more. Try Andre: 876 852 0177 -- he's reasonable and PA born and bred, will take you anywhere with a smile. He can do a cheap Kingston/Mo' Bay pick up. Trust me!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
990 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

Angel....

Curious.... where did you stay in Port Antonio?

Also..... thanks for driver's name and phone. What kind of car? A/C? I will save for future visit.

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
13 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

Wow! Thanks so much for all of your information/advice. You all have been a HUGE help! This is our first trip with the little ones and I'm quite anxious to say the least. I feel better with help from such a great community.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

Hi there, sorry for late reply.

I split 10 days between Mockingbird Hill and Geejam (thanks to my generous boyfriend - the holiday was his Christmas present). I can wholeheartedly recommend both for different reasons, and have posted detailed reviews here.

I know these are at the upper end of the price rage, and I wanted to go back to Port Antonio as soon as I can, so while I was there I checked out some reasonable options and can say that:

Goblin Hill Villas has the best location - especially good if you have a family, and it's walking distance to Frenchman's Cove

Great Huts is cool for back-to-earth lovers (with the jerk centre at your doorstep) and a small surfing cove

Moon San Villas is also a good choice (steps away from the Blue Lagoon).

I'd recommend either of those 3 - maybe not Great Huts for more than a few days (unless you like that kind of thing) - but to split your experience amongst two places. If you let me know what you are looking for, I'd be happy to give you more specific pointers.

A x

p.s. Andre has a little 5-seater van, with A/C though it was a cold snap when we were there so can't comment on how well it works! Like all cars in Jamaica, it was a little beat-up, but very clean.

25. Re: Is Port Antonio closer to Kingston or Ocho Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 12, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio