We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

I guess we'll arrive in PA from Kingston at about 1pm on 28th December. We have 2 nights and then need to get to Ochos Rios at about 3pm on the 30th.

We really want to make the most of our short time there, so we're thinking of renting a car from Eastern when we arrive in PA

Please, can anyone suggest an itinerary that maximises our time there? As we'll be out sightseeing, we'll probably stay in a budget guest house such as Invanhoe's as a base. Or should we stay further up around San san?

Also, if we can't drop our rental car in Ochos Rios, could we get a driver to take us from PA, and maybe stop at a few sights on the way?

Any suggestions welcome!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

There is a very active group of posters who frequent Port Antonio in the jamericans.net forum. In fact there is an ongoing thread on the area as I write this. Try posting your questions over there too.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Thanks for the tip, I'm taking a look at the site now.

I would still appreciate any suggestions from TA posters though.

Thanks again!

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

A few suggestions I would recommend would be Reach Falls, IMO probably the nicest waterfall on the island, Long Bay has a great beach to hang out on, Boston beach for the beach and spicy jerk, Winnifred beach for a swim in a more lively atmosphere, Frenchmans cove is worth checking out as well as Blue Lagoon, rafting the rio grande, and somerset falls. Enjoy your time in the most beautiful parish on the island.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Thanks, Matt, that's really helpful.

I wasn't sure whether to do Reach Falls or to do Somerset Falls instead on the way to Ochie.

If we get to PA by lunchtime, do you think it's a good idea to do the Rio Grande rafting that afternoon as a trip on it's own - and then hire the car the next day to do all the other things all in one day?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

My advise would be to get yourself settled and maybe wander around town on your first day - Depending on what day of the week, Anna Bananas has a live reggae artists on Sat night - dinner at Dicky's Best Kept Secret -

The next day, if you rent a car, then I would grab lunch at Woodys Burgers, head up towards Reich Falls (closed Mon - Tues), on the way back stop at Long Bay - there is a great bar there for a drink. Continue back towards Portie and grab dinner at Boston Bay.

On the way to Ochi you could easily stop at Somerset falls if you wish, but I think Reich falls is prettier -

There is another guest house on the way towards San San but not so far up that is budget called Villa Paola, $40 a night - I have the # if you want it.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Also, if you wanted to go rafting, you could do that on your way to Ochi - it's in that direction, so if you got an early start it would be doable.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,827 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

I have seen recent photos of Somerset and it looks quite nice...and you can do it on your way to Ochi that last day. Reach is amazing but pretty far east of everything else.

Suz stayed at a place recently that she liked a lot - Villa Paola, I believe it was called, similar pricing to Ivanhoes, and it has its own parking which Ivanhoes does not. Ivanhoes is a great place to stay without a car though, since it is convenient to the route taxi and bus park and downtown and the marina, and it has amazing views and is nice and clean and safe and friendly.

Most things are along the main road as you drive east of Port Antonio, and there are signs. Frenchmans is a lovely beach with a river flowing to it which makes for great fresh and salt water swimming.

Blue Lagoon is a fun experience too, a fun way to see it is by boat or raft.

Winnifred is a lovely public beach with a nice vibe though it can be tricky to drive down to.

Boston beach has a jerk center right on it and I personally liked it more than the jerk places up by the road, so you can kill two birds with one stone here if you like.

Long Bay is a beautiful long beach with waves, and there's a beach bar on it.

I have never rafted the Rio Grande but from the photos I've seen it looks beautiful.

I don't know if you care to try to do all this in your 2.5 days but enjoy trying!!

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Thanks for the tips, Suz, Reich Falls it is! :)

Yes, I think I will just take the first afternoon to settle in. I'm sure there's plenty enough to see around the town and the Marina.

I didn't know the rafting was in the Ochie direction, so that's an interesting idea to do that on the way.

I do fancy the idea of lunch at the jerk centre at Boston Bay, so perhaps if we went to Reich falls in the morning, we could get there for lunch (after a drink at Long Bay, of course).

Then i'm thinking of quick stops at the Blue Lagoon and Frenchman's Cove on the way back to Portie and maybe dinner at the Marina.

We'll be there on a Tuesday and Wednesday, so we'll miss the live music, unfortunately.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Thanks, Liz.

Yeah, it may be a bit advernturous to tackle everything in one day... but we'll go with the flow and if we just end up chilling in one place then that's OK too.

I did read Suz,s write-up on the Villa Paola and I did take a look at their website. But, I can't see any photos anywhere of the bedrooms and that always makes me feel a little uneasy...

But, i take the point about not parking at Ivanhoe's - where would I leave the car, then?

Do you think, that instead of renting a car, I could do a similar trip by taxi, getting on and off along the way? Or would that be a serious pain in the butt?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 and a half days in Port Antonio. Need help!!

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics in the bedrooms, sorry - They are basic, it's definitely not luxury -

One has a queen bed, a wardrobe, TV, bathroom with shower only (large though), ceiling fans, slatted windows - One room has two twin beds or a king if you push them together, same windows / tv / bathroom - these two rooms share a porch with a table and hammock, and each have a fridge - The bedrooms lock individually as well as the door at the top of the steps. The rooms were basic, but clean and comfy -

The third room is in the back and has two queen or full sized beds in it. They aren't fancy, but if you are renting a car I would go this route because of the secured parking - the house is gated and set back from the street.

A

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio