We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
237 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

I am looking to go to Port Antonio for two nights in February. Does anyone have any opinion on Frenchman's Cove Resort? Is it under construction? It will be for two adults looking to see some sites and relax. Other recommended hotel options would be appreciated. I have contacted a few other hotels. I was interested in Bayview Villas, but have found them to be unresponsive to questions. Thanks!

Cheryl

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

I would definitely go to the beach there but I would not stay there. I think the accommodations are very run down - disclaimer I looked at a room in 2003 and hated it, I was on the property this year but didn't see a room - my understanding is nothing has been done to the rooms/villas since then, but the beach is being developed with a new restaurant/bar..

I LOVE the beach though, for a day you can go for $400J each, I think.

For the $, I'd choose Fern Hill Club - across the street and one mile up the hill. Dated accommodations, but clean and well kept. Fern Hill is $85-125 or so per night. If you won't have a car you'll want to arrange taxis, the hill is a hike I'd rather not do on foot.

Ivanhoes in town is a great budget option - $40 a night. And convenient to taxis if you don't have a car.

Lots of other good choices too, depending on your budget.

I hear good things about Bayview but I too had trouble getting much info from them by phone or email. I have heard that the walk in rate there is a lot lower than the book ahead rate....and Porty is generally not a difficult place to walk in and get a room, unless it is a major holiday time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
237 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

Hi! Thanks for your response. I was worried that resort was run down and I just looked at Fern Hill Club Resort online. It looks like it will be what I am looking for. I think I will stay there. The view looks amazing! I would like to drive from Runaway Bay to Port Antonio, any chance you know if there is a rental car place in Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios? Thanks!

Cheryl

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

Island http://www.islandcarrentals.com/ has an office in Ocho Rios. I'm sure you can get a car delivered to your hotel for a fee, too, if you like.

If you haven't driven before I'll point you to my blog post about driving in JA:

…blogspot.com/2010/05/driving-in-jamaica-my-…

The views ARE amazing. Like I said the rooms are kind of dated - by which I mean the decor, curtains, etc look kind of 80's, but everything worked well and the suites are very spacious. Even the "standard" rooms are quite nice.

The food and bar are nice and the views are among the best in Port A.

3 swimming pools, expansive neat grounds to walk around.

I wrote a blog post on my stay there this year, with some photos:

…blogspot.com/2010/08/evening-in-port-antoni…

I didn't take any photos of our suite, not sure why, but it was really big with two double or queen beds and a sitting area with sofa, large bathroom, good water pressure and a large balcony with a GREAT view.

Edited: 2:50 pm, September 27, 2010
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,006 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

My friend took a photo of us on the balcony, it might give you an idea of how it looks since she also caught a bit of the room through the sliding doors:

…fbcdn.net/hs053.snc3/14091_1448344813135_13…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
237 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

Hi! Thanks for your posts with the links to the blogs! They were so helpful and the photos were great! Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl

Port Antonio...
Level Contributor
57 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

Check out Moon San Villa on Trip Advisor

7. Re: Frenchman's Cove Resort: good choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 19, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio