We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

I am currently planning a winter visit to Jamaica and am considering Port Antonio. In many years of visiting Jamaica, I have yet to stay overnight in Portland and have only made a day trip to the area. For lodging, I am not sure where to stay. Everywhere looks inviting. We will have our own transportation and are looking for a 2 bedroom villa or apartment or even a hotel room for a short stay of a few nights. We don't necessarily need an upscale property, but are looking for someplace clean with some amenities(pool, nice grounds) and cable tv. Any ideas?

Ohliz, I noticed that you've enjoyed Fern Hill Club. Have you or anyone seen the 2 bedroom villas?

Goblin Hill and San San Tropez looked nice too as did the villas right on the Blue Lagoon. Thanks in advance for any ideas you have.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

I haven't seen inside the villas there but they look nice form the outside, and have a semi private pool. Fern Hill, the property, has all you are looking for - pools, game room, restaurant, bar, great views, and is ideal since you will have a car.

Another thought is Goblin Hill, I personally found it a bit too quiet (no bar or restaurant, the villas have cooks), and the units looked like modern condos to me, not much character, but a lot of people like it there.

Also look at Mischur: http://www.wix.com/micshur/portland - it's a 6BR guesthouse that you might get all to yourself, or at least a "wing"...

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

PS: the Blue Lagoon villas are lovely, and they vary as they are individually owned.

The only villas I can't really recommend are the ones at Frenchman's, though I have only seen the regular hotel rooms there, I have heard the villas are similarly unkept.

However, I highly recommend visiting the beach there, perhaps you can get a villa tour and see for yourself.

Portland isn't so busy that it's hard to move around or walk into most places, I have found. Of course you usually pay less when you do that...and when you have a car that is an option definitely worth considering.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

I wondered about that.. So, it's an area where we could arrive without reservations and maybe find something with a decent rate by stopping in? I'd like to do that if possible. I remember it being a really pretty area and would love to stay somewhere with a view. I have a vague memory of the area and recall that from where downtown Port Antonio is to Boston Beach is quite spread out, I think? Is Fern Hill near the Blue Lagoon and that area?

Micshur looks nice too.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

Not THAT spread out, just not very walkable. I'd say downtown Porty to Boston Bay is a 10-15 minute drive, especially now that the road is new. And most stuff you want to see and do is in that stretch. Further a bit, maybe 15 minutes more, is long bay, then Manchioneal (where you turn in for Reach Falls).

This map shows you where things are, including Fern Hill and the beaches and falls and lagoon and downtown:

wikimapia.org/…b

This closeup shows Fern Hill (bottom of the map) has two roads leading to it, one across from Frenchmans (so on the left of the map) and thus closer to Port A, and one going past Goblin hill, closer to blue Lagoon:

wikimapia.org/…b

If you measure you can see one to the other is like 1-2 kilometers.

Edited: 3:00 pm, August 28, 2010
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

Had to add...i remembered things being spread out too, and when I was there this April I drove right past Fern Hill's turnoff and got all the way past Boston before i realized I'd missed it - the new road REALLY makes a difference.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
970 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

I've seen the inside of the two bedroom at Fern Hill and it was a bit too run down for my taste. The standard and one bedroom rooms are nice. I too liked Goblin Hill but have to agree it's very quiet there. We ended up moving from Fern Hill to Jamaica Crest really liked their two bedroom, pool and dining but it's quiet there as well with no bar. This was back maybe 5 yrs so maybe Fern Hill has updated the unit since then...I would ask before booking or do as you said and drive around until you find what you like. We booked for one night at Fern Hill then drove around to see what else was available.

I've had my eye on the villa/house Liz mentions reviews and photos seem really nice.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

Thanks for that information Sammy...good to know. The property looks nice and that view..sigh.. I think we will probably check it out before booking anything.

The furthest we went was to Boston Beach, where we turned back. We spent some time at the Blue Lagoon and around the area of Trident Castle. I have a friend who especially enjoys lush foliage areas and has yet to get to that end of the island, so she's going to love it.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

Forgot to ask if Jamaica Crest is the place on the hill with the pool shaped like Jamaica?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

The one with the pool shaped like Jamaica is The Palace in Drapers it is well kept and nice. Not much to do right there, but it is midway between Port Antonio and San San. I personally prefer Fern Hill just for the views.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,005 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions on Port Antonio Lodging

As I recall the Crest has conference facilities, and kind of caters to Christian groups. Not that it is exclusive to them, I think that's their market niche, if you will.

Sammy would you say so or no? Is that why no bar?

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio