We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from kingston to PA

Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling from kingston to PA

I am planning a budget trip to PA, more B&B style then all-inclusive, and would like to know if I can travel from Kingston to PA via public transportation (bus or shared car), or if I have to hire a driver/pay for a pick up service.

Thank you!

S

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

Its a pretty long bumpy trip through some remote areas. The ride takes longer than it should because of the roads. Personally I would hire a driver (and make sure you use a restroom before you leave because there aren't too many options once you hit the road).

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

It will surely be a lot quicker by chartering a taxi for yourself. It can be done by public transport, but it will take longer. Since they repaved the north coast hwy from Ochee to PA the ride is a lot better. From Kingston to PA is about 2 1/4 hours if you have a straight drive and that's going the shorter route via Castleton and Annotto Bay. I am not sure if public transport has a direct bus to PA or if you have to do a transfer half way along somewhere.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

There is def a bus from Kingston ( halfway tree I think) to port Antonio... Runs fairly frequently too... It will be crowded and not sure I'd recommend a visitor (esp one with luggage) travel unless they are ( very) familiar with the system... But it is fairly possible and actually not as slow as some routes... As mentioned a lot of that ride is fairly remote, so it'll make much fewer stops than say a mobay to ochi bus... When I've driven from kgn to pa route I've been passed at least a dozen times by buses (which should speak to their reckless driving thru some gorgeous but trecherous terrain!)

An unfamiliar visitor travelling with luggage would likely be much more comfortable (physically and mentally. Travelling by private driver... Fares to porty should be about 150ish us give or take each way... It's not cheap, but the ride is phenomenally beautiful and worth it to see this phenomenal Parrish (I'm over in Portland now and remembering why I fell in love with it before! :) )

enjoy

chelle

Edited: 8:22 pm, April 06, 2010
Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate the feedback. I might hire a car to the PA and then take the bus back...we'll see. Thanks again!

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

if your on a budget. you could always take a "route taxi" i use them to get around porty, with no prob. you will be sharing a ride with others, but that is usually fun too. get to meet people you wouldnt ordinarily meet. very inexpensive.

texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

if your on a budget. you could always take a "route taxi" i use them to get around porty, with no prob. you will be sharing a ride with others, but that is usually fun too. get to meet people you wouldnt ordinarily meet. very inexpensive.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

I would not recommend route taxis to tourists and especially in Kingston. NOT safe.

Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

you might want to check with the B&B where you're staying to see whether they can advise you on this. a lot of places have drivers they work with on a regular basis. a private driver is not cheap, but in a lot of circumstances it is worth the cost for the convenience.

Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

was there a post where someone recommended route taxis to tourists in kingston? did i miss it?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling from kingston to PA

yes ...look up at goosecrane. (although yes says porty but ...people won't get the difference usually)

Edited: 5:38 pm, April 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio