We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time planning

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time planning

Really excited to have discovered this place and already planning our first visit for my wife and I in the next 12 months. We went to vieques in PR for our honeymoon and think this area will have some of the similar qualities.

I had a few questions for the veterans:

1. What is the best time of the year to go if we want to try some surfing?

2. Are there certain times that are more rainy?

3. Is April generally the quietest, cheapest times?..especially with airfare?...which seems to be really steep from Minneapolis.

4.Having a hard time deciding between one of the nicer units at Great Huts or the MoonSanVilla and would appreciate any feedback?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time planning

Portland isn't known for it's nightlife... I'd personally suggest sticking to things within walking distance (great huts for example has a street thing weekly right outside the gates, there's plentybif little bars and such too) rather than trying to get a route taxi late at night (which is a bit more challenging/risky than during the day... If you do want to checkout something, the only "club" I know of in porty is roofbar... There are also a couple bars that have local live bands (names I cannot remember)... Either way, I'd charter a taxi and arrange a pickup time...

That's me tho

chelle

Edited: 3:30 pm, February 18, 2010
Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: First time planning

Chelle - i never even knew what a screen was until i came to the US! lol. i know this isn't relevant to the post, but your words sparked some membories for me. i remember being fascinated with so many things the US had that JA didn't - screens in the windows is one of the many things that always stuck in my head . mail being delivered to the house was another thing that blew me away. LOL!

Edited: 4:12 pm, February 18, 2010
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time planning

Roofbar was closed when I was there last week. We went to another club up the street from it, for which I can't recall the name.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time planning

thanks for the update suz, i've never been to roofbar, but i've had it described to me and didn't sound like my sort of place lol... dark and neon wall painting is a little too ummm... scary for me lol

screens in the windows are great.. everytime a lizard or 40 leg or something else nasty gets into the house i think what great inventions they are!!

Chelle

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time planning

LOL, screens would be a necessity for me - A lizard I can handle - if a 40 legger got in, I think he would be owning the house while I sat outside!!

16. Re: First time planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio