We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Antonio.

Colombia-Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Port Antonio.

Can anybody give me their take on San San Tropez resort in Port Antonio - seems this may be suitable for families, couples etc. Looking for some reports on this facility. Thanks Eric & family.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Antonio.

san san tropez isn't a resort but more like a villa with a nice pool, across and easy access to the frenchman's cove properties on the other side of the road. I went there to eat a few times, when we stay nearby at the blue lagoon. loved their italian food, the best we had in the caribbean (owner is italian, that must be why lol)

every ppl i spoke too, liked it there. its also next door to Fern Hill.

if you have google earth, check my map to see it's location, i have made several bookmarks in the parish of portland and st thomas, here is my file: www.marcline.com/project/Jamaica_link.kmz

seems like a real decent place to stay at for a family in my opinion.

have you check out their website:

although i haven't seen the inside of the room and can't attest to smaller details, the property was very well maintain and look very nice.

http://www.sansantropez.com/

hope you go and can report back for us as well :D

California
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Antonio.

Eric,

What about Great Huts? We were there for 4 nights 2 weeks ago and there was a couple of families with children and I can tell you that they LOVED it. We stayed in the Sea Grape and Bamboo Tree. Next to Sea Grape was a family staying in the Lemba Hut which looked nice and the kids were having a great time. The family had to leave for a night to attend a wedding at the Riu in Ocho Rios and the father told us the kids could not wait to get back to Great Huts. I know the 2 places we stayed will only sleep 2 but I think the Almond Tree sleeps more...not sure which ones but you could check. No pool but the ocean is steps away and there is a natural sea pool that may be suitable for young children. Really.... so much for a child to do there and the place is just beautiful but you are basically out in the open so have to enjoy nature:) Another place we stayed was Kanopi House which is directly on the Blue Lagoon and that too would be suitable for you. They do not have a pool either but you are right at the Lagoon and they have kayaks which was so much fun. You can go to Monkey Island and have it all to yourself. I think the Spanish Elm Villa would be suitable for your family....has it all. All villas have a small kitchen where you are able to prepare simple meals if you like and breakfast is included in your stay and it was so good too. From Kanopi you can easily get to San San by kayak too....water very calm. If interested in Kanopi deal directly with Jackie @1 876 298 6686 cell# as he will give you a much better price than booking on the internet. The distance between Kanopi and Great Huts is approx. 5 minutes. Also Carla the host at Kanopi has to fantastic kids around 10 years of age and they are usually on the property during this time when school is out...awesome kids.

Like said.... just recently stayed at both and can highly recommend either. Location of Great Huts is the best and Kanopi to us is the most beautiful place on earth. Much to do at both of these places. I know Jack will work with you on $$ re: Kanopi.... Great Huts will not. Loved both and can't wait to return.

Good Luck...

Shannon

Colombia-Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Antonio.

Willows Way - has Jackie got an e-mail address that I can communicate with this person = the option sounds great Thanks for the info.

Best Regards, Eric.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Antonio.

thanks to Willows recommendation we will be going to Kanopi house in June ...whooo hoo.

email is:

info@kanopihouse.com

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Antonio.

C,

I can't keep up with all of your planned trips:-)

So now you are finally getting to Port Antonio? Awesome.

It's a magical experience like no other.

Colombia-Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Antonio.

Willows

Looking at Great Huts, pricing seems reasonable and they responded in a timely manner - seems there are many places near San San Tropez and The Fern Hill Club the dog thing reported by another visiter and my research turn me off on The Fern Hill Club which I have remember as a great place but I guess nothing stays the same. Thanks for your info

Best Regards from the Careswell family

California
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Antonio.

OMG you two....so excited!

Email Jackie direct at jacks@kanopihouse.com and he does respond in a timely manner as does Great Huts. You will not be disappointed with either choice Eric.

WR - June? I am more than excited for you and we too are planning on going back next June or July as we can't stop thinking and talking about Kanopi... Great Huts too.

Eric I have another email for Jacks if needed but he should respond to this. Mention "Shannon" and see what happens:) Jackie is just the best and will really work with you.

Keep me posted....please as I am excited to see where you end up:)

Good Luck!

Willows-Shannon

California
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Antonio.

Oh and Eric... when do you and your family plan on going?

Willows

Colombia-Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Antonio.

Hello Willow - at this point we will go (hopefully) during my daughters vacations - which runs from the end of November to Jan. 20th (she goes to school in South America she is 11 years old - the school breaks here during this time in July and August she is in school) we live in a city called Medellin the city of'eternal springtime' (we divide our time between this city and Canada) which aptly describes the weather here it usually rains at night and the sun shines during the day a beautiful arrangement eh! makes for great looking grounds-flowers-palm trees- exotic bushes etc. my daugher (Thalia) is a beautiful soul and she is our life. Thalia is crazy about beaches-water and so recalling how great the beaches were in Jamaica the last time I was there I thought this would be a great holiday for her. Of course I need both her and her mothers (my wife's) approval first but I am leaning towards the 'Great Huts' from the pictures it looks great - hopefully there are children around her age there when we go. Anyways I appreciate your input

Regards EriclovesThalia

California
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Antonio.

Eric,

Sounds beautiful and how lucky to be able to live in 2 areas as you do.

You will be happy at either property as they are both unique. You could do as we did and divide time between the 2 as they are so close and you have the best of both worlds. We spent 4 nights at Great Huts and 3 at Kanopi.

Either place will be nice for Thalia...Kanopi is within walking distance to Winnifred Beach. We took a fishing boat over there but you can walk on a path through the jungle and is suppose to be nice...15 minute walk? We did not do this but Carla the host at Kanopi will walk you there if you desire. You can kayak to Monkey Island or San San Beach easily as we did. If interested in Kanopi deal directly with Jacks either by phone or email as he will be helpful and work with you on pricing. Kanopi is a bit $$ but as said Jacks will work with you.

We did drive by and check out a few different places but I would still stick with these 2 because of their location and being on the water.

We love both of these places and both being suitable for an 11 year old imo as plenty of things to do and see. She will be kept quite busy:)

Also as far as transportation if you want to really get out and explore I would suggest Warren as many do on this Forum. We spent a couple of days with him and had a great time.

Best of luck to you and post your decision as I am excited for you... with both of these it's a win...win decision.

Willows