We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of excursions

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cost of excursions

Can anyone tell me what we can expect to pay for a trip to Reach Falls or for the Rio Grande rafting trip? We have 4 people in our group ~ will we pay per person or as a group/car?

What about hiking in the mountains/guide?

Sommerset Falls?

I just want to get an idea ~ so I know what to work with.

TIA

~Megan

2 more sleeps and I'm there!!! :)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of excursions

please Private message...bighouse. They may know. Enjoy your trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of excursions

Thanks withrespect! Message sent.

~Megan

3. Re: cost of excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, June 12, 2009
washago
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of excursions

mportr1: We went rafting on May 11 and this is what we found. There are three ways you can do this. 1 Take a taxi approx 50US and pay 70-80US for the raft for two people. Its about a three hour trip. 2 This is the most expensive. You can book it with a tour company which adds a middle man and more money. 3 You can get in touch with one of the rafters through any taxi driver. These rafters can do the trip maybe 30-40% cheaper than #1. We chose #1 and with cab, rafting, refreshments ( you can buy these from other rafters along the way) and tip it was approx 150 US for two. No matter which one you use you will not regret it. The rafter we used was Devon who can be contacted through a taxi driver named Petey. One thing to keep in mind. Things are very slow right now and there are lots of people competing for your dollar so whatever trinket or food you buy may be the only income they make that week. Hope this info is useful. We loved it in PA and would go back in a heartbeat. Chasman

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of excursions

From where? Best bet is to get a private driver and take in a day or two of sightseeing/attractions... Traditional group tours in Portland are hard to come by... Myself and many others on this board have used warren and been very happy... Do a search for his name and info..

(and wr last I heard, warren was in the process of sorting out the red tags/ insurance, so there's a pretty good chance that he has that done now, but I haven't spoken to him recently... All other drivers that I know of that are red plate in Portland are route and wouldn't offer near the comfort that warrens very clean, well maintained, air conditioned vehicle does, but they would be much lower priced, this I believe is how bighouse gets around, but not 100% sure I know they have a guide they adore from st thomas but I seem to remembering that he didn't drive them)...

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of excursions

Btw, if I remember correctly, reach falls was about 800-900j pp, sommerset around the same, I didn't do the rafting but as mentioned local drivers/guides have relationships with the raft owners... I did go to blue lagoon and did pay 10us for a boat ride there... If you have a driver known to the area you will be treated very well...

Chelle

washago
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of excursions

The cost of our river rafting was based out of Goblin Hill Villa.

Chasman

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of excursions

Thanks! Chasman ~ we are leaving from Goblin Hills too. So ~ thank you for the options!

Chell~ we have Warren doing our airport transfer (thanks to your recommendation!) and I'm sure he has a honest rate on the trips ~ I just wanted to have an idea of the cost of different things. He mentioned $100 for day trips ~ so that's about on target for Reach Falls, according to chasman's estimate. I think our budget is only going to allow one or two trips ~definitely want to do the rafting trip! We'll see about the other stuff.

Thanks again to everyone!

~Megan

Wis.
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of excursions

I had heard Warren is now married and moving to the US and is no longer going to be doing trips....

10. Re: cost of excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, November 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio