We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

Which Port Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

I'm coming to the Caribbean on honeymoon on the 1st July. We are sailing around the BVI's for 1 week and then have 10 - 12 days to spend in the Caribbean and I'm completely lost on what to do.

We are looking for a small luxury hotel, to relax and enjoy with a bit of beach and snorkeling time. Narrowed it down to a few (quite a few!) hotels but can't make that final decision. Any advice on any of these or any others will be greatly appreciated.

Final point is that my fiance gets bad reactions to bites, while we're expecting to get a few don't want to be in a known bad spot.

Hotel list in no particular order:

Le Tiony

Eden Rock

Hotel Isle de France

Cap Julica

Geejam

The Caves

Apologies for posting on numerous forums but trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks to all.

Port Antonio...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

Check Moon San Villa at the Blue Lagoon.

www.moonsanvilla.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

Though pricey, look into Norse Point. It's the only one bedroom villa on the water near the Blue Lagoon. Great cook, very romantic.

Port Antonio is not very touristy, very relaxing and quite beautiful.

Here are pics from our trip there in December:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23395045@N03/sets/72157611705766022/

Portland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

Hi - not sure if you have found something yet but I have a friend at Jam Pal and they are offering a honeymoon/lovers package - might be worth a look?

http://www.jamaica-palacehotel.com/rates.html

Also with your hubby's bites, I moved out here last year and had a terrible time - the best thing is to go to the chemist or search online for the quartz bite pen, he never runs out anytime you get bit you click it on your skin arond 5 times and give you a tiny electric shock - it sounds harsh but your body releases the anhistimine ( spelling?) that stops the swelling and the itching - or you can get "OFF" which is a good replent. Also stay away from sweet food before your trip - hard to do, but mozzies love it.

Portland is a green lush area and no matter where you stay you're gonna get bit!!

Enjoy x

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

caves, for reference is in Negril, almost the opposite end of the island from portland/port antonio

i'd have to research a few on that list to be honest b/c it doesn't seem like they are jamaican, but from what i do know, i'd say she's probably least likely to get bitten at the caves vs geejam... the cliffs of negril aren't near the breading grounds of portland... i got eaten alive a couple summers ago in portland, it's naturally the wettest part of the island and summer months are the wetter ones... (hurricane season, trip insurance is a good idea)...

negril is also a better area for walkability (or quick drives) to area restaurants/bars/ect... it is in the cliffs so a trip to the beach will mean heading down the road a little

geejam does look lovely, but from my expeirence, portland is not for those who don't do well with bugs, lizards and all sorts of things in between... also in that area and just as lovely, if not more so, is kanopi house... google it... it's on the top of my top to do list :) but the bugs would likely be no better...

Enjoy and congrats

Chelle

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

I would also highly suggest the Royal Plantation it's a lovely small resort very luxurious. Check there website http://www.royalplantation.com/

Good luck!

kingston
Level Contributor
600 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

Check out JEEGAM & Hotel Mockingbird Hill- very remantic

7. Re: Honeymoon, please help : Hotel, Location, Bites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio