We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
"Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event

"The organising committee of the Pepsi Portland Jerk Festival has announced that the event has expanded to a three-day event for the ninth staging of the event this year. Known as Jamaica's largest food festival, the 2008 Pepsi Portland Jerk Festival takes place from July 4 to 6.

The festival opens on Friday, July 4, with the official opening at the Boston Playing Field and a children's fun day from noon to 6:00pm. On Saturday evening, there will be a retro-costume party, Flavours of Dancehall. ............"

Read More:

http://hospitalityjamaica.com/ent2.html

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

I think my earlier comments sums up what I was saying and the post the post that follows:

"I never like to give to much of an opinion of where's the best as in this case Jerk.

Everyone has different taste and I am used to the food so have had a lot of personal experience."

Even my own Jerk chicken is loved by many but maybe a few wouldn't like it, trouble is I have yet to experience the latter.

Stated with a smile.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

For me, everything was so ridiculously good at Boston Bay that I spent about $40 on lunch and engorged myself.

I got jerk pork, jerk chicken, jerk sausage, jerk lobster, homemade eye-melting jerk rub in a Snapple bottle, an empty overproof bottle of soursop juice, and about five Stripes.

Nothing in Kingston, St. Thomas parish, Negril, or the North coast has even compared.

Maybe I caught it on an extremely good day or something, but everything that I ate was fresh off the fire and delicious. Maybe it is just because of how spicy it was...I don't know. I just walked around from vendor to vendor and bought stuff randomly. That lunch probably lasted two hours.

One thing is certain...no other place on the island has been anywhere near as genuinely rich and spicy (and I mean melt-yo-face spice)...especially in tourist areas (road-side vendors and jerk-specializing restaurants, not resorts), where their idea of hot jerk is mild jerk covered in plain ole hot sauce.

Also, I had never heard of Boston Bay when we actually ate there. Our driver took us there and told us it was the best jerk on the island and I didn't learn the history until well after I returned from than service trip.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

This just goes to show one of the reasons jerk is so great.

It is no different from any other local, regional, or national specialty. Everybody has different opinions on who has the best:

tamales

clam chowder

crawfish

jamabalaya

gumbo

crabcakes

ribs

pulled pork

fish and chips

etc.

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Chelle

I agree with you about cassava piece road, definately on my top 5 list. Red hills rd is also great.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Easton,

I agree with you Boston jerk is the best I've ever had and the sauce I brought home to make my own.

My family who you know are Jamaican all agree, I suppose it's a little to do with what you're used to as in everything.

Curacao...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

Please I am very interested to know the dates for

The Jerk Festival in 2009 and 2010

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

oh that's awesome :) wish i could be there.

i also like the jerk in Yallah, in the st thomas parish, mmmmmmmmmmm!

18. Re: "Portland Jerk Festival becomes a three-day event"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, December 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio