We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PA places to see

DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
PA places to see

Our trip is coming up soon and here's a list of places we are thinking of going to. Please let me know if I missed anything, or if it is too much to do in the 3 full days were are going to be in PA, or if a different itinerary would be better. We would like to visit these places as this is our first time to PA/Jamaica, but want to spend some time one the beach chilling.

One day - Reich Falls, Boston Beach lunch, San San w/ boat ride to Blue Lagoon & Monkey Island (snorkel)

Another day - rafting on Rio Grand, musgrave market for crafts(port antonio)

Another possibility is to ride into the mountains and visit a coffee place.

We are staying at Goblin Hill, so Frenchman's is right down the hill. Also, Warren will be our driver.

As always thanks for the advice!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PA places to see

Look at Frostychic's Name That Place in Jamaica forum and you'll find some great information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k15151…

I've been to Jamaica many time; Negril, MoBay and Ocho Rios but have always wanted to get to Port Antonio. it's a thing I have for Errol Flynn I think and the fact that it's considered the Hamptons of Jamaica. This should be a great trip and I look forward to reading your report.

Enjoy!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PA places to see

If only they had an edit/spell check tool in the reply cell!!! I meant to say:

"The Name That Place in Jamaica Game."

Cheers!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PA places to see

wow, looks great to me!! sounds like what we would do if we would be going too :)

maybe check with goblin hill if they know dickie's best kept secret... they may be able to reserve you a dinner there, it's not that expensive and it's a wicked place. (not sure if he is still open but your maid or someone at Goblin hill i'm sure will know)

he used to be chef for like mandela and queen elizabeth etc. , he serves dinner in a small banana shack upgraded kinda house lol very very special in deed. worth checking out

you can google him but here's a few links:

frommers.com/destinations/…D61750.html

jamaicatravelandculture.com/destinations/por…

looks like you will have an awesome vacation!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PA places to see

sounds like you hit all of the staples.. maybe sommerset falls if you have time on the rio grande day...

Winnifred beach and long bay beach are two great beaches to check out... Winnifreds is down, what I can only guess is the worst road in Jamaica, but is really a great little hideaway that has recently caused a lot of controvery (government trying to privatize it, people are petitioning it)... long bay is where Chill Out restaurant is, a great little hangout spot, nice beach, relaxing place to do lunch or dinner.... Warren will probably carry you by these spots if you are interested (chill out is an easy one, winnifreds is a touch harder to get to...)

If you get a chance, take a looksee at the Great Hut property when you are in Boston Bay (it's right down the road behind the jerk shacks ) ... absolutely charming little spot, I'm sure it'll give you ideas for your next vacation :) (If i remember correctly you (or one of you at least :) ) were from Africa, which made me think of a man from Ghana staying at the Great Huts when I was there and he just LOVED the place, said it reminded him of home :) he couldn't stop talking about it all week), it has a very african-centric art and design... ) ask manager Peter Lewis to give you a tour of the property, it's very picturesque and unique...

If you need a nice night out vibe type thing, Tuesday and I think Friday nights they do a little street thing at the Boston Bay jerk centre... sound systems are brought out, reggae is played... if you're looking for something to check out and have energy after your busy days (or take an early nap and have refound energy later in the night) it usually picks up sometime after 10 or 11 and goes well into the wee hours... it's nice to just hang around and chat to people in the area... good conversation over beers and whatnot...

glad you went with Warren.... he's such a sweetie :) and you just reminded me i owe him a phone call (apparently he has big news)!!! :)

enjoy Porty it's beautiful :)

Chelle

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PA places to see

Hello DC2Africa,

You have some great advice right here by everyone.

One more thing to do if there is time. A visit with Blossom.

http://www.portantoniojamaica.com/ivy.html

Porty is a place to go and enjoy so much natural beauty. No rush and no plans. Let Warren take care of everything.

ENJOY…

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PA places to see

Hi DC2,

I also think that your proposed itinerary sounds good - in fact we did the very same thing as your first day several weekends back - Reich Falls, Boston Bay jerk chicken, then San San from which we took a little boat to Blue Lagoon then to Monkey Island for a snorkel. Re the snorkelling, we weren't very impressed with the coral or fish - perhaps we didn't go far enough out - and we've been spoilt by a previous holiday to the Maldives, so perhaps depends on your expectations! Also make sure you wear water shoes - some black spiney sea urchins about.

One other thing to let you know - San San Beach officially closes at 4pm - it has a gate and gate keeper, who takes a small fee for entering the beach and car park. We had our own car, and only arrived about 2.30pm, so didn't sit on the beach, just used the restrooms (+ there's a cafe) then took the boat from there to Blue Lagoon, and then only had 20mins out on the island before being picked up again by the boat, in order to be back at the car by 4pm. You may not have this problem if you've got a driver picking you up (and may be the gate keeper can be flexible with a few $ on offer!) but worth bearing in mind.

Highly recommend your "local" beach, Frenchmans Cove - an idyllic spot so make sure you have time to enjoy that!

If you fancy a nice meal out during your stay, other than at the local restaurants which tend just to offer chicken or fish and no real menu, then you might enjoy Hotel Mocking Bird Hill, on the same side of PA as Goblin Hill, where they have a restaurant on the terrace serving a daily changing menu with about 6 starters and main courses to choose from, plus wonderful desserts.

7. Re: PA places to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio