We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somerset or Reich Falls?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Somerset or Reich Falls?

Ok, now I am quite torn, I thought we had our minds made up, now of course I am second guessing myself.

After two trips to Negril (we have done excursions to Rick's Cafe, Three Dives, Pirate Cove, YS Falls, Black River, The Pelican Bar, Bamboo Ave, and Mayfield Falls.

This trip we are trying Ochi, for a change of scenery. We have already found a guide to take us to Port Antonio (which is getting me at least very close to the Blue Mountains). We know we want to eat lunch in Boston Bay, so that is a must, we are torn on the rest. Our guide has told us that Somerset Falls are closer than Reich but is willing to take us where we choose. We want to do the Blue Lagoon and one of the Falls, and possibly add rafting on the Rio Grande.

We are staying at Couples San Souci where a trip to Dunns River is included in our stay, so which other falls, Reich or Somerset?????

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

why ochi, why not go direclty to portland, you will have so much to do it will take you a couple of days to do it all... :) rio grande, reich falls, boston, long bay, blue lagoon, frenchman's cove... just to name a few... rio grande is suggested to be done in the morning.

reich falls is all the way on the east of the east coast hehe... check our google placemarks to find where things are www.marcline.com, we've just added our gps tracking of our last trip, we did many hikes in the hills in st thomas... and even if we were there for 2 weeks, didn't get the chance to do the blue mountains this time, but will next time... our guide is from st thomas..

wish i was going to portland like you! you will love it. have a great trip

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

We are meeting up with a group of friends in Ochi, but decided to take a day and explore Portie as much as we can.......one of the couples will be joining us. One day is better than not at all right?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

absolutely!

well then, may you'll want to check the map and do things along the way, you could do rio grande first thing in the morning - leaving ochi 2+ hrs before the time you want to do your rafting (your guide prob knows someone that does that), maybe after stop at a few beaches, it starts with frenchman's (small fee), san san (small fee), blue hole, i think after winifreds beach (free), Boston (free), Long Raod (free) and then after that is Reich Falls (you prob wont visit all the beaches, i think Boston is well worth it so you have time to maybe do Reich Falls)

You will have to schedule things well, and squeeze as much as you can :) Port Antonio market after Rio Grande will be on your way, might want to make a real quick stop if you wish to see that.

Too bad you aren't staying a 2-3 days tho, not sure if he is still open, but Dicky's best kept secret is nice, he is a renown chef in Jamaica (cooked for mandela and the queen etc) and lives in a wicked house. You have to make a reservation.

well enuff said, i'm sure you will have an awesome time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

i didn't get to somerset....

Warren took me around and said that if I had to do one or another, he said go with Reich... I LOVED Reich... that said, Somerset is probably at least an hour closer to Ochie, possibly closer to two if the roads are as bad as I hear... But if you are heading all the way to boston you've already travelled a bit more than half that distance...

i'd say it would depend on how much of the Portland roads you really want to experience...

but I'm with BigHouse here... I suggest trying to find somewhere in the area for one night if you are serious about Portland... Its going to take you at least 4-5 hours to get out there and at least 4-5 hours to get back, that's very likely upwards of 10 hours of driving... what is a 10 minute drive anywhere else can take a half an hour in portland.....

I loved Portland, LOVED it.... but would never ever consider heading out there for a day from anywhere other than maybe St Thomas... unless you really like driving on bad roads... chances are you will reach just in time for lunch, maybe have a chance to do one of the falls/blue lagoon or rio grande (MAYBE two, if you rush) and then be heading back... if you get a hotel for the night (yes you'd be loosing a day of your couples stay), you would at least get to really experience Portland and not be rushed and missing half the beauty by travelling after dark (which will make the trip take even longer)... (the drives, although rough, are lovely)...

that's just my take on it...

Chelle

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

mzambo,

You will see my reply on your other thread, here is the link as follows:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k17010…

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

just like you Chell, we now know someone in ST thomas and stay there and only go in portland when needed, the roads are at its worse state but i suspect they will probably be fixing some of it.

I wonder how bad the roads to Rio Grande are? They usually don't have good roads there, but worth doing :D

maine
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

just to throw in another option...and admittedly, i've not been here BUT

Scatter Falls is also in the area...you'll need a guide though...as to find it requires a brief raft across the Rio Grande and then a hike into the woods. Next time i'm in the area, THAT'S where i'm going.

Have always wanted to see Reich...but i've yet to make it there...i'd choose it over Somerset.

When we went to Somerset, it was being renovated...the grounds are nice, but the falls themselves are small. We took a 3 minute hoaky aluminum boat jaunt into the fall...all in all...i'd do Reich or Scatter if i had it all to do over again.

Rafting on the Rio Grande is a great way to spend the day...i highly recommend doing it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

Westmoreland,

We are using Wentworth Tours, he was much more reasonable than Carolyn was, and I have to say more responsive, I did not like that I was emailing Carolyn's assistant and not her personally. So we chose him, and someone we know used him and Solomon, so we feel good about the choice.

Westie, you did PA in a day did you not? How long was the journey? I am getting conflicting stories on how long it will take to get there. 2 hours is what I am hearing most often.

We almost cancelled this day trip, but I know if I do I will regret it forever......... My niece who has been to JA 3 times, wants us to scout the area for them, they want to go back and stay in Portie.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

the problem with the Ochi thru to Portland trip is that the roads are getting progressively worse... there are potholes big enough to sleep small dogs... stretches of what you'd consider "acceptable" roads are few and far between, they are mostly poor to BAD.... what applied five years ago or even five months ago might still not be the case.... maybe once the trip could have been done in 2 hours because that would be a reasonable time considering the distance, but once you get outside Oracabessa you can no longer measure the trip in miles but rather hours...

the hurricane has mashed up the road more since i've been there and also from my understanding they have started to work on specific sections (mostly bridge areas) which means there are now detours that could take you off your path for a bit or require you to drive through construction areas... which is likely to add to the orignial time

when i did the trek in August it was about 5 hours from Boston bay to Ochi... we hit a lot of construction and traffic and stopped for breakfast which delayed us a bit... we did do Annotto Bay to Boston in just under 2 hours, but that was with no traffic, no construction and no stops, my friend who used to make the trip a lot and hadn't in nearly a year said that the roads were detorating and it used to be about an hour drive... Annotto Bay is still at least an hour and a half out from Ochi though...

i would expect my experiences to not be so far off... give yourself 5 hours which will include a rest stop for breakfast (if you are easily car sick you will probably not want to eat in the car or eat anything heavy), you might get lucky and the trip in 4... i would be very surprised if you could do it in much less... Hopefully someone who has done it recently can share their experiences if i am being misleading... but as far as i understand, hurricane and detours/road work has only made this journey longer...

Sadly, I don't think Portland is a day trip kinda place...

Chelle

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somerset or Reich Falls?

mzambo,

What ever you do don't cancel the trip unless it's bad weather.

I see what you mean about the assistant contacting you but I believe that happens because Carolyn does a lot of the tours with herself so she's busy.

I got immidiate responses from her assistant so I was very happy.

When we arrived at the hotel I think it was the second day Carolyn got in touch with us and we had a good chat.

I can only say I was very happy with her service.

In regards to time I never timed it, but I believe it took just over two hours getting there and maybe three getting back in the dark.

I'm sure you will be fine with Wentworth as there have been good reports back.

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio