We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dean

NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Dean

How is Port Antonio after the Hurricane Hit Jamaica. Have been watching the news. We have visiting Port Antonio last year and are thinking of all the kind people we met.

I really hope the damage was minimal.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dean

I think the worst problem in Portland in general will be what it always has been.... the roads...

My friend who lives by Long Bay has reported that all is well in his neighbourhood and that he has not heard of any extensive damage around Port Antonio and westward... The sea was up over the main road in some areas not sure if it has resided yet... I don't think the east was as lucky, but I haven't heard of any specific details...

Chelle

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dean

The Yahimba cottages are gone, this is one of the only ones i've heard yet, but i'll be calling Mokko tonight to find out what is going on...

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dean

just as i was posting this to another forum, thought of all of you here who also love Portland. Here is an article with photos, about Long Bay Portland:

http://www.go-jamaica.com/blog/2007/08/21/98/

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dean

Ooooh nooo,

It looks like Chill-Out got hit pretty hard.

I hope no one was hurt.

I hope they get Chill-Out up and running again soon, that's my favorite cheeseburger joint anywhere.

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Dean

I just came back from Crystal Cove in Port Antonio.

Port Antonio had no power as of the day we left ( 8-23 ) and there was no eta on restoring the power.

The house we rented needed repairs after we left, the owner said she would not be renting it out immediately.

Several docks were completey washed away (sandpiper as example)

Getting ice for food (and more importantly drinks..) was nowhere to be found. We did have running water so toilets could flush.

Since no power at night with no fans/a.c. the misquitos came out and kept all of us up all night biting you.

It was very challenging, and I've been to the same villas 2 yrs ago with full power and there was a huge difference.

The main road to Kingston was blocked so we took the mountain road to the airport to leave. Kingston airport had no power and no running water as of 8-23.

Call your house/hotel to confirm if power avail, this will greatly impact your holiday.

John

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dean

Thank you John for your report.

Sadly Carla (cjam) had emailed me and told me about Yahimba. The owner is a friend of Carla's.

She lost her restaurant, bar, and all the cottages.

outside of philly
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dean

Has anyone heard anything about Zion Country Cottages or I-tal Village. I have been trying to get through but cant make the link.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dean

still wasnt able to get through with Zion Country, but spoke with Mokko in St Thomas and he is fine, he had to fix his roof and bathroom a bit due to the wind, but weren't flooded in his area, prob due to being in the mountain side.

will let u know if we hear back from Free-I

outside of philly
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dean

Thanks. Would you happen to have any other suggestions for nice spots like Zion (same vibes) anywhere between Port Maria and Port Antonio. I am going to visit my fiance and father of my twin Suns and we want a private getaway. I lived on the West coast for almost 6 years and I really need to get away. I want to hideaway from everyone and spend some alone time with him so the West Coast and St James are out of the question. I would love to be able to find a spot so I can put it on my credit card, I may not have that luxury if I wait until I get there because as you know some folks dont accept credit cards in person.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dean

yes there are many places, but not sure if any are like zion as zion is really has that rasta feel to it. You can stay directly with Mokko too but that's in Sunning Hill St Thomas - not far but not in the areas you are directly looking for.

There is San San Tropez that is not too big (you gotta reserve in adv to know if they are available, depending if you are travelling in group or not). next to it is Fern Hill, we regret not checking them out, but they along with san san tropez are right accross the road from the entrance to Frenchman's Cove (this beach is one of our favorite, so to have it that close must be nice).

I remember after that point on, going towards Zion Country (so from West to East sort of speak). you will have San San Beach, and then some more expensive villas, blue lagoon, moon san etc, we noticed there is also Goblin Hill.

We noticed there were furnished rooms you could rent along Long Bay but don't know their names.

Check on here for some more suggestions: (they have many good sections and you may want to check the one about " Where to Stay "

worldstogethertravel.com/jamaica/index-jamai…

Take care and let us know if we can help,

Marc & Line

Get answers to your questions about Port Antonio