We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PA For Children?

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Is PA For Children?

i'm wondering if PA would be a good place to vacation with children ages 8, 6, and 3? Also, how far is MBJ Airport to that area.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PA For Children?

Montego Bay to PA would 4+ hours. PA from Kingston is 2-2.5 hours.

Port Antonio is a wonderful place...one of my favorite places. The reason that it has not blossomed with development (and been overrun by AIs) is due to the distance from the Mobay airport. The KIN airport makes PA more accessible, but not many tourists want to fly into Kingston.

As for kids, if your kids would like adventure/exploring more than being entertained by a hotel then they would LOVE it. If they are used to or need a "kid's club" or an entertainment staff, then maybe not.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PA For Children?

How far by car is PA from KIN?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PA For Children?

cebakes,

About 2 hours or a little more.

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PA For Children?

Hi! easton714,

I think I like the idea of having them explore instead of being entertained all the time. Plus I'm 20 or 21 weeks preggy, and don't want tons of people on top of me, and I need to be around lots of food. lol! I was wondering if you would know if they have touring people that could take us around PA and show us the sites. We are coming to Jamaica for 10 nights. How many days will it take to see the sights in PA?

Thanks!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PA For Children?

A reasonable trip for 10 nights would be 5 nights in PA and 5 nights in Ocho Rios (from KIN), although I would love all ten in PA (but the kids might get bored).

I don't know if they would let you do 5 people at this place...

www.tranquility-villa.com/pages/1/index.htm

...but I would love to stay there.

From the area, you could hit up different local beaches, the blue lagoon, boat trips for snorkeling (or even fishing), a trip to Reich Falls is a MUST (it is my favorite falls in all of Jamaica and one of my faves that I have ever been to), a trip to the natural springs in the aptly-named town of Bath would be neat, a tour of the mountains and the countryside, and, of course, a few meals at the Boston Bay Jerk Centre (undeniably the best jerk on the island, since it originated there).

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is PA For Children?

I agree with Easton. Our children loved PA when they were aged about 5 & 7 on their first visit. The highlight for our son was going in a canoe with a 'real' soldier. (Several soldiers were in PA for training.) It has to be said our two are adventurous by nature, and even now that they are more independent, they have no interest in going to an AI with their friends. I think the key here is in what Easton says “if your kids would like adventure/exploring more than being entertained by a hotel then they would LOVE it. If they are used to or need a "kid's club" or an entertainment staff, then maybe not.”

I know what you mean, gkaussietykes4, about liking the idea of your children exploring instead of being entertained, but you have to consider the nature of each child. Some children hate to walk, run cycle far, etc. while others thrive on those things. It can be a horrible experience for all concerned, trying to get an ‘unadventurous’ child to do adventurous things. I hope you are lucky and have adventurous youngsters.

PA is an interesting, compact town with almost everything within walking distance. How much walking you can do, in a hot climate, while 20/21 months pregnant, is another matter. (Did I type ‘20/21 MONTHS pregnant’? I’m losing it!) LOL

The places of interest mentioned by Easton are all good recomendations IMO also.

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is PA For Children?

I was wondering which places we should skip for sightseeing with our children. We are still having trouble picking out a place to stay. Well, at least I got our tickets, coming into MBJ Aug 16th.

Negril

Montego Bay

Runaway Bay

Ocho Rios

Port Antonio

8. Re: Is PA For Children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 05, 2009