We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

TO
Level Contributor
925 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

Hello,

I am considering a March Break holiday to Negril for my 15 year old daughter and I. I have been reading through this forum and looking at many hotels and have several questions, having never been to Jamaica before. Our prime goal is relaxation. We both like to lounge around, read and take walks on the beach. As two females travelling together, safety is also a prime consideration.

Here are my questions:

1. When is the best time to book to get a good deal from Toronto for March? I've noticed that a number of the properties I'm interested in are relatively small, so I'd like to book as early as possible, but at present the only direct flights are quite pricey.

2. It looks like we will have much more choice by staying in a non-all-inclusive property. How much should we expect to spend on meals every day? We really consider eating on this type of holiday to be purely for sustenance, as opposed to experiencing gourmet meals.

3. Any endorsements for hotels or general suggestions are most welcome. Right now for all-inclusive, I have my eye on the Grand Pineapple and for non-all-inclusive, Negril Palms.

Thank you very much in advance for any input you have.

Sinead.

Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

I took my 13 year old daughter to Grand Pineapple last March- we had a great time. She loved it for walking, reading and relaxing!!

TO
Level Contributor
925 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

That's great to hear. Are some of the rooms on the other side of the street? Is it a big deal crossing the street?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

Yes, about half of the rooms are across the street. We have stayed on the beach side twice, but I would not hesitate to stay across the street. They have crossing guards to help you 24 hours/day. My parents stayed across the street last year and they enjoyed it. It's very quiet and peaceful-and the pool is there. Hardly anyone one uses it and they liked an evening swim before bed.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

1) look at the flights available and pick your preferred dates/times. Set up an alert on kayak.com with your chosen dates. You can then choose to have an alert emailed daily, weekly etc. I pick daily and get a good idea of prices. When it gets down to what I want to pay, I book immediately.

2) I took my (then) 15 yr old son to Negril 3 years ago. First time (been back 5 x since!). Stayed at Country Country which was perfect, breakfast included. I estimate I spent $75/day for both of us, including taxis,, snacks, drinks and activities. I bought drinks for our room fridge and snacks for the room on the way from the airport (as well as beer, rum and coffee). We went snorkeling with Famous Vincent, at Rhodes Hall and Xtabi. Dinner at Ivan's, Country Country, Kuyaba etc. son watched tv in the evenings, read, and relaxed.

3) I obviously recommend Country Country. Negrilonestop.com has a "stay for 7, pay for 6" deal that should cover March. Treehouse would be good too (they usually have Groupons/Living Social for a great deal, (at least a couple each year) one out right now but only good till Dec.). Have a look at the pics, prices and videos on Negrilonestop, great resource for picking a hotel.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

Check out Coco La Palm and Rooms on the Beach. Small, clean, safe, quiet, plenty of places to eat nearby.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

For hotels, check out negrilonestop.com. Great site to compare a few dozen very reputable hotels, both AI and non-AI. They also have photos, videos of many properties, and competitive prices.

For food, the cost is similar to what we pay in the USA, so I'd guess that you'll tend to spend what you would in/around Toronto.

You'll have 2 beaches to choose from: Long Bay is the main ~5 mile long beach, with lots of hotels, bars, restaurants, shops, vendors, hustlers, etc... Bloody Bay is ~2 miles long, and has only a few large AI hotels, and a couple of vendors. It's MUCH quieter than Long Bay, which could be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.

TO
Level Contributor
925 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

Thank you all very much for your responses. After much looking about, I booked the Grand Pineapple today...so exciting!

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

Sinead5

Having many stays behind me @ GP (dating back to the Negril Garden days) I think you have made a good choice, especially if this is your first trip to Negril.

Nice location, great security, friendly staff and a good value for a basic inclusive property as a convenient home base allowing you extra funds to go off property and enjoy all Negril has to offer.

Enjoy the anticipation of your trip to Negril!

9. Re: First time to Negril for Mom and 15 year old daughter...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 06, 2016