We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Jamaica Steve;

Hello there Big Guy!! Have been keeping up on the post going to Jamaica~how can you help. You've been suggeting taking our supplies to a particular school where you have a friend. I see that alot of people are going there, so is there another place where the items we got may be more useful?? Any orphanages that you could recommend, or a different school? Much appreciation again, always a pleasure chatting with you!! Scoobs

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Greetings Scoobs ! (Lori?)

Maximum respect to you for your generosity. You will certainly be rewarded for your benevolent efforts. If I remember right, I think you will be staying at Sunset at the Palms right? (excellent choice by the way!!) ... If so, I know of one school that is not far from Negril (about 20 minutes) in Sav La Mar called the Torrington Early Childhood Center.

If you go to www.officeofnature.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, there is a link that says "Jamaican Kids" or something like that... Click there for more info on Torrington. The Office is right next door to your resort, so you can even just ask someone at the Office to recommend a local school that is badly in need of help. .. which is almost all of them :(

You are very kind and also insightful to understand the need to "spread the wealth"

Blessings and Happiness to you.

Steve

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Thanks for coming to the rescue again!! I went to the websight and got all the information I need. You are so kind to offer your advice thanks, Lori

Sicklerville, NJ
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

I just jumped into this topic, although I remember reading that if you want to bring gifts to Jamaica, school supplies are greatly appreciated. Are there EXACT school supplies that are needed? I was going to find out what kind of school supplies and give them to one of the hotel staff to give to a school. I'm staying at Negril Gardens, April 13 to 17. I'm going to go on the site that Jamaica Steve recommended for further info. I know school itself is expensive but are school supplies lacking because they must be flown onto the island? I'm sure I have a two bag allowance on my flight. I could certainly fill a collapsible bag with school supplies if they are so desperately needed. Please let me know.

In the mean time I will scroll down and see if this info is already posted.

Thanks in advance Jamaica Steve.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

I specifically asked an employee at the resort about this, and she said she has to buy every last thing for her son. Anything would be appreciated. She even has to buy him a desk and chair, because all the school supplies is a stool.

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

If you go to the site J. Steve recommended you wil find a link that directs you right to the schools link and they have a list of things needed. They have 112- 3 to 6 year olds in a one room school house. I, too, am taking an extra bag plus I've gone through my main bag twice now and pulled out stuff. I have to go through it one more time tonight cause I just got one more delivery, man, I have never travelled with so few options in clothing, guess we're hanging around the resort cause I don't have much more to wear than swimsuits and a couple shorts!!! Never had more fun though!!

Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Hi all, I just came into this post.

Would the kids need clothing too? We have lots of "grown out of" cloths we could bring along

Thanks

Lisa

Traverse City, MI
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Lisa;

Absolutely!! Clothing in good condition and also, shoes in good condition, they need all the help they can get!!! Thanks for your reply!! Lori

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Isn't this AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime I read one of these posts from newcomers my heart just swells with joy.

Together we can "move mountains"

Blessings and respect to each and every one of you :)

Steve

San Diego
Level Contributor
376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Hey Steve,

My wife and I are both teachers and will be bringing a gift to a local school with Soloman on one of our trips with him.

You had mentioned in a post a while back about things needed at the Office of Nature. Shoe polish and sand paper, is that right? What color shoe polish, what consistency of sand paper? Anything else? Who should we look for to make this donation?

Thanks in advance. It feels really good to help out where we can. 28 days and counting!

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica Steve; Question about gifts;

Greetings Robbie,

That is excellent. Just so you know, I personally feel that teachers are among the most valuable contributers to this world, and I have the utmost in respect for those who excel in their role as one. Much respect you both - Our children, and their ability to eventually make substantial improvements in our world are paramount !

Have an AWESOME time with Solomon.

As for the shoe polish, I think most of the Artists like Brown Kiwi the best. They use the sand paper to do the finishing on the wood sculptures so all the typcial grades of paper for wood will be good. I know that at the Office itself (fortuantely for them) they are actually starting to get a bit more business than usual (on account of the two new RIU's) which is great ! Any vendor (who is an ACTUAL sculptor) will most certainly appreciate the supplies. You can also ask Solomon if he knows of any artists that may be more urgently in need than others.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve