We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day excursions from Negril

NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day excursions from Negril

I will be in Negril for 4 days in mid-December. If you were a first time visitor who wanted to go on just one excursion (4 to 6 hours) outside of the city, which would you pick? I'm considering Mayfield or YS falls but am open to other suggestions. I'd like to see some beautiful scenery or natural attractions.

Anne

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day excursions from Negril

Start with Mayfield.. When and if you go back for longer you can go to YS.. Mayfield is a shorter trip. Both are beautiful..

Good Luck

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day excursions from Negril

Hi Anne....please contact Talk of the Town Tours. The are the most recommended for any tours out of Negril. s_kerr@anbell.net

South
Level Contributor
545 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day excursions from Negril

So many great places to go in Jamaica, that you have to take multiple trips.

Since you are only going to be in Negril for 4 days, I would suggest something like YS Falls or Mayfield Falls.

If you visit YS Falls you can take a tour through the Appleton Rum Factory. It didn't take very long when we went (unless you spend all day in the tasting booth(LOL).

Also Benji's Paradise is really nice to visit. I think they are still open? You can easily check with a tour company on that one.

All three places I mentioned are incredibly scenic and places you will never forget.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day excursions from Negril

We went to Mayfield Falls and had a wonderful time. There was a total of eight people in our group, all from Couples....which was nice. It was a nice ride through the villages and sugar fields on the way there. We're from Portland, Oregon so have done many river walks before. The guides quickly figured this out as we would randomly hop around the rocks and climb up the middle of the falls. They didn't mind that we didn't really follow the set route of the easiest way over the falls. It was nice and we had an excellent time. Warm water, beautiful river, easy for all ages, and fun. Guides were great as they would answer any questions we asked them about the area...one had even studied geology and was able to answer questions that we asked them about the rocks and native plants.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: day excursions from Negril

We actually got YS Falls, Black River and Appleton Rum Estate all in one day. That included stops along the way for breakfast and a late lunch. A GREAT breakfast and lunch by the way.

Of course, the wife and I went by ourselves so we didn't have to compromise on a time table. We left around 8:30AM and were back in Negril to watch another great sunset.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day excursions from Negril

JAFan, yes...Benji's is open again....crystal clear water flowing from the spring head, swimming hole is full, Benji is back from his sojourn to the states and gives blessings for being back in Jamaica. His place should be open again at least for another 5 months (or until the drought time comes) or if he returns to the states for another visit.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day excursions from Negril

Hi again Anne....if you contact Talk of the Town Tours (TOTTT) they will certainly put together a tour however you wish. Enjoy

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day excursions from Negril

We actually got YS Falls, Black River, Pelican Bar and Appleton Rum Estate all in one day. That included stops along the way for breakfast and a late lunch. A GREAT breakfast and lunch by the way.

I'd recommend YS Falls, Appleton, Black River/Pelican Bar as a one-day, all-day adventure. starts very early in the monring - have breakfast on the south coast (try the peanut porridge!) - have lunch on the pelican bar (fresh fish) - have some dinner on the way home (a local jerk shack perhaps, or maybe some pepper shrimp)... you can check out bamboo ave on your way home - scenery is great along the coast - YS falls preserve is scenic in and of itself - treasure beach, black river, the south coast and pelican bar are all wonderful natural attractions.....

go with several people to defray expenses if you choose - but i think it is a more special experience if it's just you and your partner.

Austin
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day excursions from Negril

great question! I was wondering the same thing! We are going in 2 weeks and were looking for things to do, since neither one of us has ever been.

I was trying to pick between the falls. Still haven't made up my mind about that one :-)

Upstate NY, USA
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day excursions from Negril

rawlus.. wow.. I was talking to TOTTT about Pelican Bar/Balck River and YS Falls in one day and that seemed like it would be a long day.. you've got my attention throwing the Appleton tour in there too..we have it tenatively scheduled for either 12/4 or 12/5... I was thinking about cutting some of the trip short, but by the sounds of it I don't need to.. I love to drive like a crazy NY Irishmen, but hate to ride and was thinking that long a day would be tough sitting and ridding. Perhaps Sala will entertain us.. we're open to others coming along, but I was thinking people were reluctant as it sounds like a long day. Seamuis