We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CANADA
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril? Does anyone have a favorite spot or tour group that takes you out?

Any and all info would be great.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

For snorkelling, if you are staying on the west end cliffs check out the two other threads in the last 24 hrs. If on the beach any one of about 30 glass bottomed boats will take you out to the reef. For scuba, the Negril Scuba Centre at Negril Beach Club Condos is the best.

www.negriljamaica.com/negrilscubacentre.html

Also Sundivers

http://www.sundiversnegril.com/

Snorkelling is average, and scuba is supposed to be quite good. I've done a lot of the former but not the latter.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

Just returned from Negril Aug. 19th and snorkeled and scuba dived. (They do ask for a PADI dive card, at least they did me) The snorkeling was okay, but the scuba is subpar if you have ever dived at places like the Cayman's, Costa Rica, Curacao, etc. (My previous dive trips) The water is beautiful, and the people are great but there is just not anything to see, so I would spend my money some other way! Lots of other things to do/see in Jamaica and I would recommend snorkeling just because the glass bottom boats are fun and snorkeling is fun most anywhere there is clear water in my humble opinion! Have Fun.

Indiana
Level Contributor
961 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

For scuba definitely check out sundivers......will have to say it does depend on the time you go.....February has been ok.....real rough this year for snorkeling and not as clear, but April this year we could see everything for both scuba/snorkel, it was great.....

new hampshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

my wife and i have used marine life divers a couple of times, they are right at samsara where we stay. we did the throne room and shallow plane last october and at the end of the dive two dolphins swam right up to us and hung out till we literaly ran out of air. hope this helps...http://www.mldiversnegril.com/

Jared

Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

We just returned last night from Sandals Negril and I must say the scuba diving was very sub-par. The visibility was poor and the sea life was almost non-existant. We saw some nice coral, but that was it. We werre diving off of Sandals Negril if the location matters.

We had great diving in Ocho Rios a couple of years ago if you are set on Jamaica, otherwaise Cozumel/Mayan Riviera is outstanding. hope this helps.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

don,

From what I know of the diving in Negril the best areas are in a direction straight out from the cliffs so I'm pretty sure that was the problem if you went straight out from Sandals Negril. Either way, as I understand it, I doubt that the diving could match some of the most recognized sites such as Cozumel.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

I went on a glass bottom boat off the beach, and this was my first time ever snorkeling, but I had a blast! There were the most beautiful fish! Electric blue (my favorite color), yellow and black striped, orange and black blotchy striped, some black ones with really pretty tails, stingrays, a squid, and a puffer fish! It was like another world to me. Also saw lots of baby jellyfish..tried to avoid them as best as I could..didn't get stung..neithere did Nicki, but Tori did unfortunately.

8. Re: How is the Scuba and/or Snorkeling in Negril ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 17, 2009