We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

GRAND RAPIDS, MI
2 posts
Save Topic
Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

What is the rule of thumb as to tipping at an all inclusive resort such as couples negril my wife and i will be taking our honey moon there starting next week and i just dont know how things work. i have never taken an all inclusive vacation. please help.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

We were told by our travel agent that Couples Negril has a no-tip policy. We were skeptical but I must say that not one staff member made us feel like they were expecting a tip. The service was excellent.

North Plainfield...
Level Contributor
903 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

When we stayed at the Grand Lido, we were not expected to tip but we did so discretely anyway. A handshake works fine.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

Definately tip whomever you feel so inclined to, just be sure to go through the proper channels to ensure the employees will not be given any trouble.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

michigan
Level Contributor
272 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

When we were at Sandals, the employees would not except, any thing as they said, it was not worth there job, But this year we are bring gifts for maids, ect as they are allowed to except these with a note.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

While I understand the comfort that goes with not having to tip, I don't like a resort telling me that I CAN'T tip...I just feel that I should have a right to say what I do with my money is all. When I couldn't always tip on my vacation, I did whenever possible, and sometimes was able to give something since I had brought along some stuff. I was going to give it to Sienna from TOTT's to do as she saw fit..some clothes and stuffed animals and kids books..but after the tour we never got back in touch..she called once at least that I know of but we weren't at the hotel at that time. So I just asked around to see who could use what and worked it that way. Also, there was a really cool guy named Tango that works across the street from Ricks that was able to help me out some and I gave him some stuff too..including this bubba mug I bought for the trip. At the last moment I just stuck my 'old' one from the citgo I had had for years in and ended up using that one the whole time instead..guess it was just more 'familiar' for me.

If I am able to afford to go for my birthday in Feb I do want to maybe 'try' an AI on the beach at Negril..prolly Negril Gardens or Merrills...and when I do, I WILL tip..even if it has to be 'discreetly'.

;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

Hello again justwedd,

Just came back from Couples Negril not too long ago and it was the first time that staff actually refused tips. I think there must be a very strict policy and as a result the staff make a clear point of telling you that they CANNOT accept tips....but this didn't stop us...we were just much more discreet - folded up the bill(s) and gave it to them in a handshake, or left it under a napkin, etc........You are definately NOT made to feel like you have to tip, but the service is so good that we wanted to.....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
400 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

Couples has a very defined policy on this. Any more FAQ, you can find on their website...www.couples.com

This is from their website:

How much should we tip?

Couples Resorts has a strict NO TIPPING policy. Our staff is trained and required not to request, accept or expect tips since non-tipping is an essential part of the all-inclusive experience. Please do not think that you need to tip to get great service.

We sincerely appreciate your desire to reward our employees for their great service but ask that you please refrain from giving them monetary gifts. Acceptance of cash tips could cost staff to lose their jobs.

There are some situations where tipping may apply during your travels or where you may wish to express your gratitude.

For Montego Bay airport luggage handlers, bus transfer drivers, and all off-site excursions (included and extras) tips are expected. However this does not include our Couples airport lounge staff.

Photographers are outside contracted services and tipping is at your discretion.

Couples Resorts supports many local charities, schools, orphanages and hospitals. You may wish to bring some gifts for them but you should declare them at the customs and you should be prepared to pay duties on those items.

You may choose upon departure to leave some small gifts for staff at the check out desk or in your room; please include a memo stating that this is a gift if you do so.

Do you want to really help staff members who have particularly impressed you? When departing please fill out our questionnaire where you will find a place to name your favorite employees. We highly regard these nominations when considering staff rewards and promotions.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
252 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

I gave the maid books that had "presidential" bookmarks at Beaches.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

In my opinion completely "disallowing" you to give money to another individual is a violation of your basic human rights.....

I have taken this position with many different resort managers with "said policies" and have always managed to ge them to allow me to give to who I felt so inclined with confirmation that there would be no consequences to the employees... It takes a few minutes, but it gives me the peace of mind to know that I can help who I choose without it getting them in trouble !!

At the END of your stay, that way you cannot be "blamed" for "buying superior service"...

Either that or simply meet the employees out front after their shift...

Blessings and respect to you, ENJOY Jamaica!

Steve

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at an all inclusive resort (i.e. COUPLES NEGRIL )

I agree with both Medicvet and JS - I don't like a resort telling me what I can and can't do with my money; I usually do it very discretely, like after their shift, etc. but this can be very difficult as quite often your schedules don't coincide. I think it is a good idea to bring it up with the manager, maybe if more of us did that, the rules would change.