We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer Question.

Lexington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Airport Transfer Question.

Okay so I'm staying at riu tropical bay, and we have an airport transfer via shuttle included with the package that we bought. It was $73.00 for the transfer there and back.

Now I am considering maybe using a taxi or private driver of some sort to pick us up from the airport, mainly because I want to be able to stop at Scotchies specifically and maybe check some cool stuff out along the way. I also need to get a prepaid phone soon after landing, I suppose any grocery store has them?

If you know how much it may cost to arrange something like this I would greatly appreciate your info. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to ditch the already paid for shuttle. (I seem to keep reading that they're lame)

Thanks

Lexington...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

It seems like the smart thing to do is to stick with what you have already payed for. Private Drivers could easily become pricy, and turn into an unexpected expense before you even being your vacation. Plus, I think it would make your girlfriend really happy.

Lexington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

See what I'm dealing with here people?

Someone please prove her wrong!

Edited: 11:42 pm, June 13, 2014
United States
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

"It was $73.00 for the transfer there and back."

If I assume that there are two in your party and $US73 is the round trip price, you got a great deal. Almost everyone charges more for a shared shuttle bus.

"mainly because I want to be able to stop at Scotchies specifically"

Keep in mind that Scotchies is east of the airport and Negril is west of the airport.

"I also need to get a prepaid phone soon after landing,"

You can get a Jamaican phone by taking a route taxi from your hotel to downtown Negril for $J150 (about $US1.50) to pick up a phone.

"If you know how much it may cost to arrange something like this I would greatly appreciate your info."

If you bargain a bit you should be able to get the ride for another $US73 or so one way (say $US150 round trip) for two people.

I would keep what you have for transfers. For the extra cost of a one way taxi ride to Negril you can take a route taxi to downtown Negril to get a phone, buy the phone, and still have money in your pocket.

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

Kingsley with Take Care Tours charges $60 each way per couple and will stop wherever you like. A tip of at least $10 each way is nice. I've stopped at Mega Mart in Montego Bay and bought a Lime phone, coffee, alcohol, snacks...there's also a Scotia ATM in the store to get some JMD.

Lexington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

Is scotchies not just south of the airport? I thought we would be near it when we go through montego bay..

The take care tours look pretty cool. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

Dude, Joe Cool Taxi, run by Englebert is awesome, flexible, dependable. Www.joecooltaxiandtoursjamaica.com Our go to guy at the hotel, each time (3) we've stayed at the Riu Palace since "04" was a super Bellman named Perry! Make sure he takes your bags. He knows everything about Negril. Enjoy!!!

Happy Travels

BBB Aka Kevin in Dallas

Edited: 1:40 am, June 14, 2014
NY
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

I vote for make your girlfriend happy lol. No worries, you will be in Jamaica :)

Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
Level Contributor
589 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

If you do decide on a private transfer, a lot of drivers will lend you a phone. Try Luxuriious Carib tours, there prices are excellent and they give you the phone to use for the week. (you just need to add minutes)

United States
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

"Is scotchies not just south of the airport?"

No. Scotchies is about 4 miles, one way, east of the airport (away from Negril).

Lexington
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfer Question.

@vinnie

So on TripAdvisor reviews when it tells me scotchies is on Falmouth rd in montego bay it's false? I just want to make sure before I write it off. It seems like there's one in montego bay as well as the one in ochos Rios. (Maybe that's the one you have in mind)

And I agree keeping her happy is priority numero uno. I really do think we could have a better experience if we ditched the shuttle. I just want our first couple hours on jam rock to be super chill, and not just be stuck with the "convenience" of a multi resort shuttle. I love the local experience!!