We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

We are traveling in September. I heard the ban will be up in August. It would be nice not to have to worry about those noisemakers while there.

11. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, May 26, 2014
12. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, May 26, 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

So good to hear the ban is still on! It sure was peaceful last season without them zippin close to shores. It sure will allow the divers and snorkellers peace of mind that nobody is racing too close for comfort..

14. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

Removed on: 10:05 am, May 27, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

This is the first I've heard of this what was the reasn for the ban? Was there an accident or trying to keep vendors from approaching people in the water at AIs? I never really had any issues with jet skis or was never annoyed by them. I never thought there were that many an they seem to come in and out in appropriate lanes.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

@JohnnyF123123 --- a tourist who was swimming was killed by a jet skier in January when the operator of the jet ski invaded the swimming area. Also a little girl was killed last year by a jet skier.

Chicago
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

Thats terrible. I was just curious were swimmers out beyond the swim area or did jetskis go into the swimming area? Also, I'm guessing it was jetskis operated by tourists and not the jetski operators? Thats kinda crazy, almost every beach destination I go to has jetskis rentd on the beach, surprised this type of things doesn't happy more frequently seeing as how many drunk non boat operators are out on them

Camrose, Canada
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

The little local girl was killed by a tourist driving, she was on the beach, I believe in Ocho Rios area. The man in Negril this year was in the swimming area, a local was driving.

Chicago
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

I guess another lesson would be for tourists, if you dont operate a boat back home don't take one out for the first time on vacation. I'd hate to be the person who killed someone, not only havnig to live with that but I'd hate to deal with the locals or the justice system after something like that.

I recently rentd a catamaran on vacation in Mexico. I've never sailed before so requested the guy go out with us. He did however kept saying take it out by yourself, I probably would have but my gf said no, she's the smart one in our relationship. Well the guy tells us go to shoe and we'll go back out. He was having me do everything but under his supervision. Well we go to shore he hops off and sends us back out. Now granted catamaran isn't as dangerous as a jetski slower speed and stuff. Anyhow, we almost flipped the cat way out, then comming back in it was hard to judge where the boat lane was and I'm not a good sailor so wound up comming in on the beach almost mowing down a mexican family with small chilldren. Now I was able to jump off the boat and stop it but easy to see how things can go wrong with someone who'd not familar with operating a boat

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Any chance the jet ski ban will be extended?

Johnny, you make excellent points that I hadn't really considered before. I am now sure that we will ask for someone to accompany us. Happy to give a nice tip in order for everyone to be safe! We have done it before, but not on a regular basis and we aren't the best sailors (had to be towed back one time…very funny) and I would much rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for your input.