We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu negirl 7/15-7/22

New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
riu negirl 7/15-7/22

hello!

im going to the riu negril in about a week and a half and i just want to know if anyone has any tips or anything to share about the resort- food, beach, activities pool, etc. thanks!

canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

I just got back from there IslandGirl930, so if any questions pop into your mind, feel free to ask. I did get stung by a Jellyfish the first day. Apparently they hang out by the ropes sometimes, so I would suggest not touching the ropes with your bare skin. Other than that have fun. The showers are so good here that you may find yourself wanting to stay in there all morning, but be strong and break free, go outside :)

You will have the time of your life! Do use all the watersports available and even learn how to sail if you don't already. It is not hard and really adds some fun to the windy afternoons.

New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

thanks robram..ill definately keep that in mind!! anyone else?

Chattanooga, TN
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

Hey Robram - Since you just returned I am hoping you can help me out. I am headed there in August and after reading some of the reviews I see mixed reviews. I would like to eat at the restaurants on the resort however I don't know if I am up for standing in line for long amounts of time to get reservations. How long are we talking about? Is it really worth it to stand in line for these or is the buffet any good. Do they provide nightly entertainment? I have been to Sunset Beach Resort & Spa and the entertainment was good there. Do they have a specific night they have a beach party or anything like this?

What was your overall opinion of the resort? Would you return? Any problems getting beach chairs on the beach?

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

Island Girl - I have just returned today after spending 14 nights at Riu Negril. I could not find any faults. Make sure you request a room in either building 1 or 2 if you want to be close to everything.

I only waited approx 15 minutes in line to book a la carte.

have a ball - miss it already.

canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

Hi Chattown, I really didn't eat in the restaurants . I found the Buffet to be more than satisfactory. The variety of foods at the buffet was so great that we never got bored of the food. I did not see the long lines for reservation booking everyone talks about on this board, but maybe that is because I found the alacarte restaurants pretty much unpopulated during the first sitting when we went to the buffet. The food was pretty good in the buffet with high marks for presentation. Riu really puts on a nice spread and go to great detail to make each night a special experience with lots of animals carved out of fruit. The Desert area looked awsome as well, but I felt fell short on taste. The entertainment at both Riu Negril and Tropical Bay are the same and unless you are content with real simple visuals, you will tire of it quickly. The stage performances were mainly just acting out to voice and music tracks. Although they had the actions down, it really wasn't what I would call entertainment. There was Beach night I think on Tues which I found very entertaining and they also had a live band one night with was average. The favorite thing I think I saw the whole time is when they gathered all the children up and had them put on a talent show. These Kids ROCKED!. some of

these kids performed as good as what you would see on dancing with the stars or american Idol , but I am sure that varies a great deal from week to week. One parent even brought the kids stage costumes with them on vacation and had them dance several ballroom dances for us.

As for getting Loungers, no problem, they were all re arranged each morning by sunrise with the beach raked clean. No leaves, rocks, glasses, fruit rines, etc. It was PRISTINE!

As for what room to get, I don't think there is a bad room in this hotel as pretty much every room has an ocean view, so I can't see paying extra for one. (ocean view meaning you can go on your balcony and see the ocean) The best area to be in would be block 2 like one of the other posters said. Block one is closest to the restraunts, but I found a bit too close. As soon as you exit block 2 (there are 4 or 5 blocks I think) you just walk 30ft and you are on the beach. Block 2 is also closest to the beach bar, so if you hang out close to the beach bar, you are also really close to your room (about a 1 min walk)

Would I return to this Hotel...YOU BET! that is if I returned to negril. I might try another area of the island as I have been here twice. This hotel is PRISTINE!, brand spanking new. You feel like you are the first ones to stay there it is kept so nice. The bartenders are a hoot and put on quite a show during the day or night. Everyone is happy happy happy!

Also, I love the beach and here is why. The beach has many faces. The beach at TB is much deeper, but really how much over 100ft do you need? Also the to compair the two, The TB beach is consistanlty the same. What I found with the Riu Negril Beach is if you walk from one end to the other you will see many quiet private little sandy coves to put your lawnbed where nobody will disturb you. At the far end by block 5 it is very isolated and you may not see people for quite some time because there is no through traffic. The swimming isn't the best near block 4 and 5 because it is a fish sanctuary and they left some of the weeds and corel. Another nice thing about down by blocks 4 and 5 is the trees. Some of the trees are right down to the water's edge giving you an uninhabited feeling and lots of shade if so desired. Very nice to walk down this way in the morning as you see lots of wildlife and fish.

As you get towards block 3 the beach starts to open up to the area where everyone swims. This is where the water is shallow out towards the ropes and this continues on for quite a ways down past the restaurants . Lots of coconut trees lining this area for shade.

One cool thing they did at this resort is any trees that were dead, the did not cut the stumps out, but had someone come in to carve mythical figures with a chainsaw. I saw a dozen or so trees carved into anything from a lifesize mermaid to turtles, to bob marley lol. Nice touch.

You WILL enjoy yourself here! This complex is well thought out for the guest. No stairs, (except for some guest rooms) and if you want to avoid areas like the lobby, or pool areas, restaurants there are little "super sidewalks" that bypass the areas you want to avoid because of the time of day or activity Another thing we loved for lunch was the multilevel restaurant that gave you a panaramic view of the beach while you ate from up above, and yet you were still outside. I have never stayed a a place so well thought out.

I hope this gives you a little peek into what joy you are in for.

canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

Hey KarenBaby, did you catch the talent night with the little double threat girl (the one that could dance and sing) and the two ballroom dancers? I bet we saw each other lol.

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
837 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

Hi Robram

I did see a little black girl up singing before the evening show started. I think she was singing a song by Alicia Keys. She was great.

Yeah we probably did see each other. When it rained though it was pretty scarey, however fab time.

8. Re: riu negirl 7/15-7/22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 15, 2009