We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril Gardens

SALT LAKE CITY, UT
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Negril Gardens

What do you guys think about Negril Gardens? That's where we will be staying June 29th to July 3rd.

From the reviews I've read seems like I made a good choice?

Where is the best place to go get grilled carribean lobster?

Can you really not drink the water and use ice? I always drink the water in Antigua and never got sick.

Thanks,

Tanya

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril Gardens

The water in Negril is treated and perfectly safe to drink, as are ice cubes safe, unlike Mexico. However, as it is slightly different than in the USA, many choose to drink bottled water. I've never had a problem with it.

If lobster is back in season (I never get the time straight) your best bet is 3 Dives on the cliffs for grilled lobster.

Negril Gardens is an excellent choice by the way. I stayed there for a few days last June and highly recommend it. I prefer the beach side as opposed to the garden side but if loud music bothers you stay garden side. Alfred's is right next door and has at least two late night shows a week. But my motto is, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. It's a really good time at Alfred's. Then just stagger back to your room. LOL

SALT LAKE CITY, UT
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril Gardens

I had no idea there was a season! Did some searching around looks like it's closed April through June 30th. So hopefully there will be a ton of fresh ones on July 1st!!!!!

Will we have to take a taxi to 3 dives or can we walk?

Thanks!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril Gardens

Definitely at taxi. It's in the middle of the west end cliff area. Maybe head out before sunset and have a drink at Xtabi next door to check out their caves and do a little snorkelling. It's a beautiful place.

SALT LAKE CITY, UT
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril Gardens

One last question on Negril Gardens - some all inclusives tipping is not permitted some it's expected.......can you give me some advice on Negril Gardens?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril Gardens

NG allows tipping, and btw the staff is wonderful there, they certainly deserve it. Please let us know if you get any a la carte dinners, there has been some controversy regarding this subject. Water is perfectly safe, been going there for 30 years and not had a problem. Enjoy.

Mayville, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril Gardens

Stop by Jamaica Tamboo for some Lobster Pizza :) Just a short walk from Negril Gardens!

LOTL

SALT LAKE CITY, UT
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril Gardens

what controversy on ala carte dinners? Let me know!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril Gardens

NG is/was buffet only. Recent guests have stated that there are a la carte meals now. I'm not sure where they would separate the guests for a la carte as it is one dining room. There is a grill by the bar though.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negril Gardens

The controversy relates to some posters on this subject such as the one that just posted "there's only one dining room, what a la carte". It only takes one dining area to eat, the resort is small and ther IS only one dining room at NG. I was there 11 days/nights between 30 Apr/11 May and they served 3 a la carte dinners. Some say they never got any, but I DID. Apparently it is not regularly done and meals are advertised as all buffet. The comment about there being meals served off a menu was made indicating it might have been because of a small crowd does not fly either. When I was there the dining room was full every night, so it was not because of low bookings, they were offering a very good rate, and had high occupancy.

You are only staying a few nights, and that is probably the reason some visitors there did not have the a la carte dinners, as it is not part of the routine.

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril Gardens

I was at NG for four nights at the end of May. And I am telling you the dining room wasn't even half full and I ate there all four nights

and all four nights I chose my meal from a menu.

I know I'm not crazy, well, ok maybe a little, and I really didn't smoke that much.

dfritzz