We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from the Riu Tropical Bay

Hamilton Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Just got back from the Riu Tropical Bay

First off, anyone going to Jamaica and is worried about damage put your mind at ease as we drove from Montego Bay to Nigrel and never saw a sign of damage.That include little 1 and 2 bedroom houses, which would like a shed to us but they we all still standing. We just got back on Sunday and we had a wonderful vacation.It did rain everyday except our last but it would only last a hour but that was fine as it was always around lunch or shortly after. We went a 1 tour and that was Mayeild Falls, we wanted to do Dunn's River but it was 3 hours away from Nigrel but after doing Mayfeild and driving about 1 1/2 hours there and back we noticed we never minded the ride at all because our tour guide always talked about everything around us and we really got to see Jamaica. This was extremely interesting. We saw everything on out drive from a a Rusta man cooking on the side of the road, a man bathing in the river and the culture of how Jamaicans live day to day. We really wished after we did Mayfeild that we had done Dunns River.if you go and you are worried about the ride,just go because you won't regret it, it's one day. If you do go to Mayfeild falls and you are planinng on renting shoes there don't. They charge you $5 US for you to pick out of a bunch of old shoes on a table and most of them dont match let alone make a set o right and left. Just bring a pair from home.Even a sandle that straps on but not flip flops.Thats my advise.

Now as for the resort, if you have ever been to a 5 star resort this will not meet your expectations. Don't get me wrong the hotel was beatiful, nothing to complain about and we were not disappointed as we took into consideration that it was a 5 star for Jamaica, as we saw some of the hotels and this was one of the best.We have been to Mexico and Domincan and these hotel we stayed at were a 4 star and 5 star and I would say the Tropical Bay is a 4.It is not a large resort but it is very nice.The beach is everythign everyone says about it...BEAUTIFUL!!! Okay now the peolpe are very laid back..."No problem , Mon" we got this alot. We asked for simple things and sometimes we got a response and sometimes not.They mean well but we are alot dierent from them, we want things done and they think we'll get to it...soon. The staff are freindly but I found not as freindly as the Mexicans, now that is just my opinion. We did meet some extremely wonderful people and I would say 80% are nice people. We are really glad we got to experience Jamaica and if we were to go back I would like try the Grand Lido as I heard alot about how great the staff was there.

Overall we did have a great trip and had a blast on the beach. Jamaica is definitely somewhere you have to go to if you like to travel and make sure you do daytrips to see the real Jamaica first hand.

CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from the Riu Tropical Bay

Thank you for the update. I am leaving Friday to go to the Riu Tropical Bay and have been wanting an update. Sounds like a great time. Will report when I return.