We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

Hi all , for all of us who Love the Negril /7 mile stretch , and all the Great ppl vibes that come along with a vacation there ....a question for you; would anyone take a weekend trip there say coming in on Friday night and leaving on Monday or do you think that it's a tease , or too much money put out for so little time , I have heard plenty of people take a 4 day trip , sometimes when you just had vacation leave, and kind of too soon to request another 1or 2 weeks off , but you still want to squeeze a Negril trip in , :)

just curious ...

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

Coming from the West Coast that would be just about impossible for me to do.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

I'm from the UK,10hour flight to get from Manchester to Jamaica,so I wouldn't!!So it depends on how long a flight you have.I'd consider a quick trip to Negril if the flight was approx 5 hours.Why not just ask your boss if you could do 1 week,worst thing he can say is NO.

Forest Park...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

I personally cannot go for less than 2 weeks at a time now. It's just a tease for me, but I totally understand the desire to get back when you can, even if it is a long weekened. If you can get do it, enjoy!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

I've done plenty of long weekend trips. If the fare isn't bad (I got a pretty nice fare yesterday), then it's only about 3 1/2 hour trip from Philly. I'd do it. Catch the earliest flight and have your feet in sand by mid-afternoon. I'm headed there in about a week for a Friday to Tuesday. And for your sanity, it's definitely worth it. Come on in the waters fine.

Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
700 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

If I had direct flights like those in lauderdale or Miami I would go for the wknd at least once a month. Happy hour and dinner? Let's go to Ivan's! It would be really hard for me not to go go go.

Peace

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

I think the key factor is the flight times and costs. If you can fly direct, get in early, leave late and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it's worth it. I just wish I had that option

Selinsgrove...
Level Contributor
321 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

I would have to get a really great air deal to only spend 2 full days in Negril but I'd do it. On one of our cruises we docked at Montego Bay and we took an excursion bus to Negril. 3 hours on the road RT and a cost of almost $250 for about 6 hours in Negril. We thought it was well worth the short visit.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

Yup - non stop flight, under 3 hours, no time change - perfect for a long weekend. Fourteen hours of travel door to door with a three hour time change-that's neither refreshing nor relaxing - that's exhausting, lol! The shortest amount of time I ever spent in Jamaica was 9 days for a friend's wedding and that was a rare second trip in one year. Other than that the shortest amount of time ever spent for me was two weeks.

Edited: 11:08 am, July 12, 2013
Telluride, Colorado
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

If I wasn't in Telluride Colorado, and it didn't require an overnight each way to get to Negril, I be there at least once a month! If you can do it for all of us that can't!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Missing Jamaica ....so Much That I ...

Hi all , Yes I agree ...we definately have to take into consideration the amount of the air fare also travel time , for me I can get a non- stop from Philly , reaching Mo-Bay by 11;00 am and Negril by noon or 12:30

would be easier for me , and yes I believe i'd do this ,,,@robertssarah yes not good for you too much travel time , mine is only a lil over 3 hrs or 3 1/2 hrs from philly the dwn fall is I can't ask the boss ,,just had a 12 day vacation the 2nd week in June ,,today exactly 4 weeks since the start of my vacation in Negril ,,and already I want to go back ,,,seems like just can't get enough ...