We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Addison, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

Heading to RTB for a long July 4th weekend.

What can we expect there? How dressed do you have to be for dinner? The pictures show everyone nicely dressed, but are shorts OK for the evening?

Any other tips about the place would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Durant, Oklahoma...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

We will be there June 29-July 6 and from what I've read, slacks are a requirement for guys in the specialty restaurants.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

We were there in April of this year.

The only places that insist on slacks for men are the japanese (hakuchi) and fusion (krystal). The buffet is only "no sleeveless" shirts for men.

As for reservations, its not that big a deal. Plus, don't forget that people will reserve in the morning or the day before and then change their plans. This means there is always (and I do mean ALWAYS) available tables at the restaurants. On more than one occasion, we didn't reserve and just showed up about 645pm - and got a table - five of us!

We found the food excellent. Really, if you can't find something you like it is NOT because of the hotel!

Also, a tip here and there goes a long way towards super service.

Any other questions just post and I'll respond.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

Is Japanese Hibachi? When we stayed at RIU Palace Las Americas in Cancun it was not, and we did not enjoy our meal there. We enjoy the hibachi experience.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

The japanese is a sit-down thing. Not "teppan-yaki" (where they cook in frond of you). The food was great though.

warne, nc
Level Contributor
170 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

I felt underdressed in halter sundresses, but, I like to dress up so that is just my opinion. You will see people dressed in shorts on up. If you go to the restaurant that men have to wear long pants: my husband has seersucker pants that he loves! He is cool in them and I get to eat a nice meal without nagging him about the 'long pants' issue. We made our reservations in the afternoon - not morning- and never had any issues. Try out all the different martinis at the piano bar.

Edited: 11:21 am, June 27, 2013
Springfield...
Level Contributor
42 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

OTHER TIPS

Take the following items:

Candle and lighter. (some rooms have a musty smell, but not bad.

16oz insulated mug. (Riu cups are small)

Insect repellent with Deet.

$100.00 in one dollar bills for tips.

SPF 50 sun screen.

Floaty

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

I went to the Riu in late May rained every afternoon, but was nice/ we had a room in bldg 4, ask for oceanview and was upgrade to oceanfront , talk to Elaine at front desk. about room close to everything. restaurants where nice liked the japanese and fusion the best. also went to Club Riu and ate at the Steak house , it was great. try and get early reservations and stop at the front bar for a cocktail. they have a singing bartender. , it's not a far walk down the beach. , it's not to late

to sign up for Riu club card / just bring the copy with you. doing any excursions stop at scuba shop and ask for Fay ,she is great we did half day sail was alot of fun. / need a taxi go out the hotel down the ramp and ask for Sean , he has great prices. have fun wish I was going again. //don't forget to tip. they really do appreciate.

Toronto
Level Contributor
451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

Where is the closest place down there to buy floaties and will the seller blow it up for you? Lol

Addison, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

Thanks to all for the tips.

What is it like at the pool? Does it get crowded and is it hard to find a seat? either at the bar or in the shade? I heard that the beach area had very little shade. Is that the case?

Michigan
Level Contributor
452 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIU Tropical Bay - First Timer

TorontoTwo ~ We always bring our floats with us from the States. They are MUCH cheaper that way. They do sell them at the beach shop on the RPTB property, but were way more expensive. We had one of the guys at the towel shack blow them up for us ~ we just gave him a few bucks for each one.

Glenn ~ went in April for our daughter's wedding with a group of 20+. NEVER had a hard time finding a shady spot on the beach. Plenty of tables and loungers all day long. The pool does get crowded, and because it was a smaller location, sometimes was harder to find a spot. That being said, we usually could find a place to sit when we were there.

Wish I were heading back right now!! Enjoy!!