We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of Sandals Questions

ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
Lots of Sandals Questions

Okay been to Couples twice and LOVED IT. Now we are debating Sandals=GASP lol. Couples has a rewards system that stays good for only four years, how does Sandals measure up? Are their points good forever as I am confused at how the heck people get to 70 stays in 4 years otherwise for the upper levels of perks? Also I have questions about cabana rentals as I am a shade freak on the beach and get sick of the chair saving games (one reason I am debating Sandals over Couples well that and their dated rooms) what is the cost per day? I tried to look at past questions but am even more confused by the varied answers. One thing said $75 and then another said $100-$125?!? Is it true that you can have breakfast/lunch & snacks served to you there? Have yet to pick a resort, but are ones better than another? Looking at Jamaica only resorts btw. Cannot afford a butler room, so looking at Concierge upper level rooms if anyone has suggestions as well. Am I mistaken that most rooms do not have lounge chairs and only a small table and chair as from the pics it seems this way to me? Do concierge rooms have mini fridge with drinks and liquors as I can't really tell the difference between them and the lowest priced rooms otherwise? Can some Sandals experts please advise a Couplesholic lol? My husband cannot even stand I am asking about Sandals so I need some convincing help, ha! ha!

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

At Sandals Negril you get room service with a Concierge room as well at a stocked bar. You will also receive Red Stripe in your mini fridge along with various soda, water, juices. You will also have a bottle of champagne in the fridge and a bottle of white wine. Sandals select reward system works this way, With every stay you will get points that you can use for money off further Sandals resort stays. The points can really add up. We also receive a free 30 min couples massage. Also on top of that, with 70 paid nights, you will receive a free week stay at any of the resorts. All you have to do is pay the air fair. We used our free week three years ago and stayed at Sandals Grande, St Lucia. In seven more stays we will receive another free week. Any other questions feel free to pm me.

Edited: 7:41 pm, June 24, 2013
ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

So, if I am understanding you the points would be good forever, as in they will not expire? I also notice this Sandals credit card, do you use this to get points as well, if so how does this work? Sorry, I am a total Sandals newbie and want lots of 'ammo' to persuade my hubby to give them a chance over Couples our next trip around.

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

Am I right in thinking butlers can no longer reserve palpa's/chairs for people anymore? I know a few months back they seemed to change the rules, but I could never figure out if the butler rooms can or cannot do this now??? Honestly without this service I don't really get the point of a butler room. THis is the reason I am thinking of going concierge & renting a cabana vs. butler rooms in price savings. Please correct me anybody if I am wrong, lol!

Edited: 8:16 pm, June 24, 2013
Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

They stopped the butlers from reserving chairs at Sandals Grand Riviera in February when half the rooms became butler rooms--- I think they can still reserve them at the other Sandals . We never thought we would be able to earn the free week either, but we did it in less then 4 years and used it this past February at SRC. We are booked at SGR for September and I have to call them so I can use my points from our last trip--- I will be saving almost $500. We are also going to Couples Swept Away in 2 weeks for our seco nd stay and should be getting a $100 resort credit. Sometimes it's nice to switch it up!! Also --- each Sandals is different --- at SGR you be at butler level to get room service.

Edited: 8:26 pm, June 24, 2013
ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

So as someone who has been to both Couples & Sandals which do you think has better perks overall? Also my hubby adores the floaties at Couples. How was it getting your hands on some at Sandals as I could have swore I saw them in pics. Does anyone know if I rent a cabana do floats come with the rental?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

non709: If you would like to receive a Powerpoint presentation my wife and I share with all, it describes the Sandals experience in general, with an emphasis on Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island property. Please send me a TripAdvisor private message with an appropriate email address to send it too. Many have found the presentation helpful. We've stayed at 3 Sandals JA resorts (sorry never gone over to Couples so I can't compare) and SRC is our favorite for these reasons:

1. Proximity to airport.

2. Stay at 1 play at 3 program.

3. Clothing optional section of Private Island.

4. Smaller footprint.

5. Friendliness of staff.

One thing you will learn as you research Sandals properties in JA, they are all very similar in terms of policies, inclusions, activities, and entertainment options. Where they differ are in things like size, breadth of accommodation options, beach and pool sizes, proximity to airport and off resort entertainment/attractions/options.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

Your Sandals Select Points will expire if you go more than three years without staying at one of their resorts. So, you just have to make sure to visit Sandals at least once every 3 years -- a real hardship. : )

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

non

We have been fans of both Sandals and Couples for many years. Each resort offers a unique experience and the best choice of a resort is up to you, none is better just different. Through your research you will find a Sandals Resort and room category which calls to you the most, go with that instinct. If you could share which Couples Resorts you have stayed at and which areas of the island you prefer that would help to narrow down your choices and help with advice of which Sandals Resort will best fit your vacation style. I would recommend giving Sandals a try, until you experience a Sandals Resort for yourself, you will never know the real difference.

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

Thanks everyone for all the help. Lol my hubby remains unconvinced on Sandals vs. Couples. I on the other hand, still am leaning towards them for our next visit. We have been to Couples Swept Away and Couples San Souci. We loved both, but for different reasons. CSA's beach was awesome and we loved the party vibe of Negril whereas CSS was very jungle like and felt very secluded. We stayed in the older section BFS at CSA but without the glass in the windows I couldn't get any sleep (lol there goes my fantasy of staying at Idle Awhile=SOB SOB) & were switched to their brand new (had just opened at that time) Great House Jacuzzi room for the rest of our stay. We did a penthouse at CSS and were very happy with it. Although we love Couples, in the past few years their new rules on some things are a bit off putting, such as no water in the mini bars and the way they are re-stocked, the time it takes making dinner reservations everyday, and the lack of shade from only having a handful of palpa's. Personally I find the chair saving thing a pain in the butt and would rather pay a bit more knowing I will get some shade via a butler room/renting a cabana.

So from what I have learned thus far, only SGR does not allow butlers to save chairs and all the others do if you have a butler room. Couples perks totally expire after 4 years, but Sandals do not as long as you go once in every 3 years? Sorry, but the points/stay thing is REALLY confusing to me but I do find it more appealing for repeaters vs. what's offered via Couples. So does Sandals have floats or not because this is one of the best things about Couples? Okay, SRCFan I sent you an email thanks so much everyone:)

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of Sandals Questions

Hello :) I've been doing a great deal of research for our trip to Jamaica next year. My boyfriend is already a Sandals Select Guest so that influenced me a little when I was looking at all the different resort chains, but was only one factor. Still, I found Sandals to be the best bang for OUR buck. Everyone has their favorites!

So I found this information on the returning guest page of Sandals.com. Your points will expire in 3 years if you don't use them, but you will continue to accumulate paid nights credits until you earn your free week. Here are the links to the main page and FAQ pages:

ssg.sandalslifestyle.com/…

ssg.sandalslifestyle.com/…

If you look under the Activities page of any resort webpage there is some brief info about cabana rentals. I don't know what conditions apply, but I think you can do 1/2 day or full day and sea-side or pool-side, depending on the resort. I compared SGR to SN and they both said the same thing, so I highlighted SGR, where we will be visiting!

sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-activities.cfm

You mentioned cost and I wanted to point out that many resorts have three theirs of room service. SGR has Butler rooms starting at prices lower than some concierge!

sandals.com/main/…or-accommodations.cfm

Each Sandals resort has a different feel and different highlights. What aspects of the resort are important to you? For beaches check out Montego Bay, Negril or Whitehouse. For large and active, check out Grande Riviera, Ocho Rios. Intimate, Royal Plantation. Close to airport, any of Montego Bay's resorts. There are many attractions off resort, so you might consider that when you are choosing, too, as you might find yourself riding up to 3 hours round trip for some activities.

I chose Grande Riviera for us because it seems large enough to keep us busy. There are many restaurants, something like 15. There are two sides of the resort, each with its own "feel". There are quiet, relaxing spots around the resort. Golf, included! (Pay for caddy, tips, etc.) This resort is too big for some people, but I think it is a great choice for us.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147312-d151462…

What would make your vacation excellent? People could give you more specific information and suggestions. :)

Good luck! Happy Travels!