We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sicklerville, NJ
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Hi,

I am thinking of traveling to Negril this year and have been checking posts for Riu Palace Tropical Bay. I heard their brand named liquors were a little better than the Riu Negril. Can someone tell me some of the name brand liquors that are offered at the Riu Tropical Bay? I know I would have to ask for them by name to be added to my drinks.

Also, do you feel it is worth signing up each day for the speciality restaurants or does the buffet seem to cover a range of foods, especially Jamaican food?

Thanks in advance!!

Florence, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

ABSOLUT,JIM BEAM,BACARDI, SOUTHERN COMFORT, to name a few. Nothing top shelf like GREY GOOSE or my favorite J.D. as far as restaurants I'd do the steakhouse(book early) the buffets do offer a large selection, plus I'd prefer to be on the beach instead of waiting inline for reservations. Jerk chicken shack for lunch, trust me!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Plenty to choose from - brand name scotch, rye, vodka, gin, jim beam and jack daniels.

TIP: ask for the brand name for your drink. Otherwise, they give you the no-name stuff.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Gin is Gordon's, Beefeater or Tanqueray, Vodka is Smirnoff, Finlandia or Absolut, Rum is Bacardi white or gold plus four types of Appleton. Also have a good range of aperitifs. Do be sure to request by brand or they'll serve the local stuff. Its all working well for us right now!

We've done each a la carte twice and can recommend them all highly, have had no problems with reservations, once had to wait in line maybe 5 minutes. The buffet is pretty good too

Edited: 9:06 am, May 01, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Speaking of the a la carte restaurants...

We discovered that reservations were onlly held for 15 minutes. None of the restaurants were ever full when we were there.

So what we would do is skip the booking process, and just see which one had an opening around 645-650. One night, 5 of us got into the "fully booked" steakhouse with no problem. In fact, there were still empty tables there throughout our meal!

I suspect a lot of people book their dinner - then either forget about it or change their mind or spend too much time at the pool bar LOL

Never had a problem eating where ever we wanted.

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Hey if you go to Oyster.com just type the name of the resort and it got pictures of the bars and some of the liquor they serve.

Sicklerville, NJ
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

Thanks for all the information provided! I see my other "thank you reply" never made it.

7. Re: Brand name liquors at Riu Tropical Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2014