We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

Thomson UK have just announced they'll be introducing a new hotel in Negril to their Sensatori range next year..

thomson.co.uk/blog/….UXO7acu9KK2

Did a quick search and found the plans on Karisma's site. Full details and couple of photos in the link; looks like Seashore Bay will become the Azul Sensatori Negril from 1st November '13.

karismahotels.com/HotelsResorts/ForEveryone/…

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

The rooms look simple, but lovely. Very interesting how quickly the AI/AO market is changing in Negril if (big if) the Grand Lido actually is brought back to it's old form and Karisma brings in an AO section of Seashore Bay. They still wouldn't have the particular inclusions that have me going to CSA, but they'd be giving Couples a run for their money for many people, I'd think. It seems to me that Couples would have no choice but to modernize their rooms at that point. The Karisma rooms look tasteful and not overdone--the first ones in the photos, not the ones with all the hanging curtains. As someone with allergies to dust and asthma, those look like a cheap fix, and a nightmare, frankly.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

What I find interesting is that the from the pictures , MAJOR renovations will need to be completed at this resort: including the adding of 1 or 2 pools, restaurants added and completely redone, and rooms and balconies completely redone . ( and all by November ). Yet, in a recent negative review management states:

"In addition , the hotel is currently undergoing some rennovations however the heavy work is now completed and the impact of this work is minimal to none."

I hate to say it, management at this hotel is questionable . First lying about the actual start date of renovations ( moving the date up by a month), overbooking and moving guests to non Negril properties, then there was the timeshare occurrence with a forum member, and now basically lying again here on TA under a review that renovation heavy work is completed ? To get to where they are now to where they want to be in a few short months, they will have to move fast.

It seems to me, Seashore 's good reputation and reviews have basically been due to the excellent staff and it's beach location, and the staff was mostly left by Beaches. Reviews for food and drink service have been questionable in many reviews, even the good ones.

Also, after it's renovations, will it price it's self out for past guests who went here due to it being an more economical option then Beaches Negril ? If it is going to price itself in the same price range as Beaches Negril, regardless of the " fancier rooms", Beaches has the water park, awesome inclusions ( which are not included

at Seashore Bay), better beach ( beach still good at Seashore but not better imo ) and fabulous kids program.

I am not sure if I like the thought of Mexican style resorts landing in Negril.

Edited: 8:18 am, April 21, 2013
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

The owners of Karisma are actually a lovely couple with a very hands on approach to running their resorts. I much prefer seeing this to the opening of more Spanish owned mega resorts.

I look forward to seeing what the end result is for Seashore Bay.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

The adults only section sounds really nice, it does indeed seem like a lot of work to be done by November. After the renovations are done, will seriously consider this place. Perhaps in doing so it might force other resorts to do some remodeling which seems to be a big issue on these threads...

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

<I am not sure if I like the thought of Mexican style resorts landing in Negril.>

NM, I agree with you completely on that front, and mostly in terms of such things as timeshare sales. However, tons of first times tourists have no particular allegiance to Jamaica or Jamaican-owned properties. They will head there if the price is good enough just like to the Iberostars and Secrets in MoBay. Once the renovations are all complete at Seashore Bay and, assuming things are running smoothly, few will remember their management's bad practices this week or month.

This and an updated GLN have the potential to change the AI market in Negril for sure. It wouldn't have me going to Seashore Bay, or whatever it will now be called. But if it necessitates CSA doing some timely room upgrades to retain business, then I say, let the free market speak.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

<The owners of Karisma are actually a lovely couple with a very hands on approach to running their resorts. I much prefer seeing this to the opening of more Spanish owned mega resorts.>

CG, didn't know that...good info! They do allow timeshare sales at their properties and I wish they wouldn't bring that to Negril for fear others may follow suit. It was a turn-off having to avoid the concierge when I stayed at El Dorado Maroma by Karisma so he could try to corner for me for 30 minutes to tell me all about the resort, with it only really being a preamble to a timeshare pitch.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

RM, we have never had a sales pitch at EDM or EDR. Maybe we were just lucky but in any case, we would have shut it down ASAP. Palace was the absolute worst we have experienced for time shares sales people. It took being rude to get them to back off (Beach Palace).

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,757 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

I don't want to take this thread off-track, but when we finally had no choice but to interact with the concierge on our 2nd to last day because there was no other way to make our reservation for a special dinner, he was clipped and told us he was disappointed we hadn't met sooner so that he could have told us about their Exotic Club. It confirmed my concerns and made me annoyed they would try to have me wasting 30 minutes or more of my vacation indoors for a ruse. It had happened to people we had known who had stayed there so we knew what to look out for.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

Unfortunately in MX, the time share sharks do make their appearance early, as you navigate the gauntlet from customs to transport. I do appreciate that we do not have these hassles in JA. OTOH, we rarely encounter vendors on the beach in MX while in JA it can get a bit old at times. Each area has its challenges.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seashore Bay - Post Renovation

Glad to hear that the owners are a nice couple.

Time Share sales and bumping to other resorts are things I have frequently seen in Mexico, less so in Jamaica ( especially time shares, which I would HATE to see arrive in Jamaica at the extreme as Mexico).

I also find it very rude for a representative from the resort to actually come on this site and state to potential guests that renovations to not begin until May, and for travelers to call the resort, and be told the same thing, and then to begin 1 month earlier.

There is no way, especially the degree of renovations that have been done in the last few weeks, and the equipment and manpower needed, that it was " unexpected".

I agree about vendors being less of an issue in Mexico, but, would you want to know deal with the vendors, and time share sales up and down the beach ?

ALso, completely agree about the Spanish chain, they by far, bother me more then resorts in a more traditional mexico style.

Edited: 10:57 am, April 21, 2013