We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding; riu negril or TB?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
wedding; riu negril or TB?

Wondering if someone could help me out a little bit. My fiancee and I(ages 24 & 25) are getting married in negril in Jan. 2006. We have narrowed our choice down to one of the riu's, but can't decide which of the two would be better. We are going to have a group of about 40, with over half in their 20's, the rest adults. We also will have one child going(6 yrs. old), but he will be leaving earlier than the rest of us.

If anyone has had or saw weddings at either resort, is one better for weddings? And is one better than the other for the age groups I described?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding; riu negril or TB?

I was at a wedding last January at Riu Tropical Bay. It was PARADISE. They were building the new Riu located about a half mile down the beach. I believe you are allowed access to both resorts but don't quote me.

The new Riu looked beautiful but was unfinished. I'm sure it's finished by now as they were set to open that month.

The Jamaican people (staff) were GREAT! Friendly and at your service. The entertainment was awesome. No reason to leave the property but we watched the superbowl at Margaritaville (10 minute hotel shuttle) and went bar hopping by walking from beach bar to beach bar that night. Gotta love Reggae!

The temperature (air and water) is ideal. Every night there is a perfect tradewind. The beach is awesome too. 20 of us sat out there for hours as we took turns walking to the pool bar for trays of drinks! No waves so I hope you aren't a surfer!

The beach (called "Bloody Bay Beach") has only four hotels (Grand Lido, Couples, Tropical Bay and Riu Negril) and a treehouse type resort located on the other side of the roadway. The beach is protected by rocks on each corner so others cant get to that section via the beach. VERY secluded.

The Europeans love to go topless but don't get too excited...even the less attractive individuals are allowed to go topless which could make you get a queasy feeling.

Make sure to leave time for pictures on the beach, at sunset, after the wedding. The sunsets are a gift from God!

When (not if) I go again, I'll try the Riu Negril because it's something new. I trust Riu now that I've been there (twice) so it would have to be good. Grand Lido Negril looks great also, each room is a suite, complete with its own jacuzzi on a beachfront patio. Very nice but big bucks. Hey. You only live once!

Have fun.

Bob