We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach/Food at RIU Properties

Costa Mesa, CA
14 posts
Save Topic
Beach/Food at RIU Properties

How is the food and beaches at the RIU Negril and RIU Tropical Bay? Which one of the two would you choose?

dh
Toronto, ON
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

I have not yet stayed at any of the RIU properties. I am leaving for RIU Tropical Bay Oct 23rd. I have stayed at Couples and Grand Lido which are on the same beach as RIU Tropical Bay.

In my opinion the Tropical Bay beach is better than the Negril beach. The Negril beach is at the mouth of the bay and doesn't appear to be as clear, blue and sandy.

As for the food? I can let you know once I return Nov 6th as to how it compares.

Hamilton Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

I have just got back from the Tropical Bay on Sunday. The food.....? It was ok. The steakhouse was amazing but dont even try the St.Andrews a la carte.No Good! When the buffet Nigrel restaurant had theme nights, it was really good. They had a mexican night that was amazng and a jamaican night as well. The rest o the time it was pretty repetative. They have a pizzeria that is really good and this is open all day. the rest of the restaurants have times that are open. The nigrel restaurant which is the main place to eat is open from 7-10 in the morning and then rom 7-10 at night. Then there is a place near the entertainment that is open for lunch from 12-4 and there is also Jerk chicken on hte beach.You have to try this, very good.My husband said he would have ate there everyday. well I hope this helps you. Have fun!

toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

I stayed at the Riu Negril and the food was great....as with all resorts there are some things you like and some you do not...you will know by the secind day because the food is overwhelming. St. Andrews is awesome. For the buffet, If you eat pretty much healthy (I know your on vacation) they have an awesome salad bar with cheeses and antipastos....always at least two pasta's and make yur own pasta, three different meats and usually one fresh roasted (ex. pig, roast beef) Always good picks for the children cause I ate that too!!!

Peace.

Nr. Manchester. UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

Hi, I stayed at Tropical Bay last year and thought that the food was good. Could have done with a little more local flavour at times though. The beach grill was excellent! I really enjoyed the Jerk chicken and sausage. The hotel is immaculate and the staff are friendly. The beach is definately the best I have stayed at in Jamaica. I hear that the beach at the Riu Negril is still undergoing work to bring it up to Tropical Bays standard. All in all, out of my 4 visits to Jamaica, that was the best hotel I have stayed at. You wont be dissapointed. Enjoy!!!

Kind regards

Peter

Nr. Manchester. UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

Having been messed around with my travel agaent, I have cancelled my original holiday to Montego Bay and am now styaing at the Riu Negril in December. So I will have then stayed at both so I can give you an informed review!

Kind regards

Peter

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach/Food at RIU Properties

I cannot comment on the food, as I have yet to stay at either RIU, but I can tell you that you will not find a more beautiful stretch of beach anywhere in Jamaica, than Bloody Bay itself. The Grand Lido's section is regularly rated amoung the top 10 beaches in the WORLD. The section that is directly in front of RIU Tropical Bay is nicer than the part in front of RIU Negril further down, but you can freely go between the two which are about a half mile apart.

Speaking of between the two... there is an awesome group of people who run a local establishment called the Office of Nature, that sits between the two RIU's. I HIGHLY recommend you make a point to spend some time there! It has been the highlight of the vacation for countless visitors to Bloody Bay.

They have a fabulous web-site:

www.officeofnature.com

Blessings and respect to you, enjoy Negril.

Steve