We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Water Shoes

I am wondering people's advice on wearing water shoes or teva-like sandals when swimming around the cliffs, or in general in Negril.

I really don't like the way full sandals like Teva's look and I prefer the comfort and style of flip flops, but will wear Teva's to protect my feet.

Are there sharp objects swimming around the cliff area? I've seen a lot of rusted looking entry ladders, etc.

I guess I should buy a pair of Teva's and wear them, just to be safe?

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Water Shoes

Vibram mAkes some awesome shoes... Several of their models are specifically for water. I have several pairs of vibram s for the gym and tough mudder, outdoor trail running etc... And a pair for the water. They are funky, and comfy, not at all hot and sticku

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Water Shoes

So is the consensus that it would be difficult to wear flip flops for just walking up and down the beach? I'm still not sure whether I need water shoes if I'm not planning on swimming by the cliffs. Also, would I need to bring my own snorkeling gear? Not sure if there are places where you can just go and snorkel on your own without taking a tour.

Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Water Shoes

Krys, barefoot on the beach. If you have your own snorkel gear bring it. Even if you go on an excursion, and they supply gear, you'll have your own snorkel, and a mask that you know fits.

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Water Shoes

If you just plan on walking the beach, and eventually leaving the beach, I would just bring a pair of flip flops to throw on when you walk off the beach.

I'd only wear Teva-like sandals if I planned on swimming in an area that I needed them (ie. the cliffs)

Bring your snorkel gear. There are areas you can snorkel on your own without a tour- The Cliffs and a few areas like Boobie Cay that you can kayak to from the beach.

ohio
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Water Shoes

We have been to the cliffs several to es and would def. recommend water shoes. Not only can you push off the sea wall with them on you protect yourself while climbing in and out and walking around the jumping area all day. The first I did not have so I always take them now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Water Shoes

Vanity over your health any day. That is why the military likes them young.

17. Re: Water Shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 19, 2014