We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Jamaica

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Air Jamaica

Anyone having problems with them. I am hearing they are canceling flights. We leave next Sat and I am worried.

sussex Eng
Level Contributor
501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Jamaica

I've been watching them too as they have been having problems on the London flights, in 2 weeks they've cancelled 3 flights and all the others have had delays between 2 and 11 hours. However, today is the first day in a while that the flight has been early! word has it that they are carrying out alot of maintenance checks over the last few weeks etc so hopefully things may start to improve now. Hope so as we are flying in a few weeks and actually not looking forward to the flight at all!

jacksonville beach
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Jamaica

Where, what site can you use to check the flights and see if they are on time or not?

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Jamaica

I've been trying to schedule a frequent flyer trip with them for a few days now wothout any luck. Delta says they're not offering up many seats.

sussex Eng
Level Contributor
501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Jamaica

sorry but I've been following their London flights on our English T.v "teletext", a bit sad but wanted to know what I've let myself in for?

Brea, California
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Jamaica

The JamaicaObserver.com website is Local Jamaica new site. It has information on pretty much everything that goes on islandwide. It did have an article about Air Jamaica (below)

Hoteliers seek meeting on grounded Air Jamaica flights

Observer Reporter

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

LAWRENCE... apologised for inconveniences from the grounding of planes

THE Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, concerned about developments at Air Jamaica and the likely impact on airlift into the island, has asked the airline for a meeting.

Godfrey Dyer, JHTA president, said yesterday he is awaiting a response from the airline's executive but understands that its executive chairman Dr Vincent Lawrence is currently overseas.

The government-owned airline said Monday it was carrying out major maintenance and quality assurance checks on a number of its aircraft, which resulted in 10 per cent of the flights being grounded.

"We are very concerned based on the report we have heard that a number of aircraft have been grounded," said Dyer. "We are currently in the middle of the winter tourist season and we want to find out what is happening and what the plans are to get out of this."

DYER... concerned about impact on winter tourist season

Air Jamaica did not say what prompted the move and was unable to say how long the maintenance programme would last.

However, it said that a schedule would be released giving those details.

Its release Monday said only that "there is a revised schedule for the time being with some daily flights being consolidated while others have been rescheduled".

Executive chairman Dr Vincent Lawrence was paraphrased in the same release stating that the "airline has taken the decision to allocate additional resources to maintenance and its quality assurance checks".

Lawrence added: "The national airline continues to guard very jealously its unblemished safety record and in this regard checks are very important. The government, as owners of the airline has committed funding to ensure the provision of these additional resources".

Dyer said he expects that there will be some negative repercussions.

"If so many aircraft are not flying that is likely to cause panic among the tour operators and it also could affect arrivals in Jamaica. These are the things we want to avoid, that is why we are requesting this early meeting," said the JHTA president.

Over the weekend, Air Jamaica begun grounding up to a dozen of its daily flights to North America, a move which well-placed sources say is related to America's concerns about aspects of Jamaica's civil aviation oversight procedures and maintenance management controls at the Government-owned carrier.

Air Jamaica would not elaborate on the US authorities concerns.

However, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had inspected Jamaica in December and recently filed its report with the local authorities.

Booking agents claimed that the cancellations were because of soft passenger demand at this time. According to Observer sources, at least seven flights to Florida cities Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando were cancelled Monday.

"Some passengers will experience delays the travel dates for others will be rescheduled and some will be accommodated on other flights during the period. The airline is taking advantage of this time when demand for travel is low to make the necessary maintenance and quality assurance checks," said the Air Jamaica statement.

Lawrence apologised "for the inconvenience to our valued passengers" and thanked them for their "patience, understanding and continued support as we undertake this important maintenance schedule".

He said the airline continues to strive to ensure reliability of service and better on time performance even as we seek to bring financial stability to the airline.

On December 23, 2004 after accumulated losses of over $600 million and mounting debts, the Government of Jamaica took back control of the national airline from the Gordon 'Butch' Stewart-led Air Jamaica Acquisition Group

near Chicago
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Jamaica

I would think that you could track AJ flights from where ever your wanted. From Chicago, it's Flight Tracker.com.

Check around the net.

BTW, I'm worried, too. We leave from O'Hare on Wed.

near Chicago
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Jamaica

I would think that you could track AJ flights from where ever your wanted. From Chicago, it's Flight Tracker.com.

Check around the net.

BTW, I'm worried, too. We leave from O'Hare on Wed.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Jamaica

Just returned from Negril. We flew out of Chicago O'Hare on 2/6 and returned on 2/11. The flight down left Chicago early and arrived early in Negril. They served breakfast and some complimentary drinks. The return flight was an hour late, they served dinner and drinks. You also get free movies each way. Our flight was bareley 1/3 full on the way down and almost full on the way home. The flights were uneventful and we wouldn't have a problem using them again.

Boston, MA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Jamaica

I just found out from our TA that our return flight on May 2 was cancelled. We had to cut our trip short a day and are now returning on Sunday May 1st. Give it's our honeymoon, we're not very happy about losing a day!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Jamaica

Aprilhoneymoon, there's nothing your TA can do?