We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

First of all, I am well aware that Negril does not offer the best snorkeling. However, I am getting my plans straight and want to know if I have all the "spots" covered, and am looking for any suggestions. I just love looking at underwater life, whether its in the Great Barrier Reef, or around the piling in the Chesapeake Bay.

This is what I have so far:

Mexico Reef (Reef)

Half Moon Beach (Reef)

Rhodes Hall (Reef)

Rutland Point (?)

Rock House (Cliffs)

Xtabi (Cliffs)

SamSara (Cliffs)

Can anyone comment on these locations?

From what I have read, it seems that Mexico Reef, and Rhodes Hall Reef are the "best". Is this accurate? I assume I might see larger species around the cliffs?

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Half Moon Beach
Half Moon Beach
396 Reviews
Jamaica
Xtabi Resort
Xtabi Resort
500 Reviews
Jamaica
Samsara Cliffs Resort
Samsara Cliffs Resort
1,465 Reviews
Jamaica
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,850 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

I don't know what Mexico Reef is - Rhodes Hall would be a very good spot I've heard. Half Moon Beach, which is "next door" to Rhodes Hall is another great spot - talk to Andrew the owner there, he grew up on that property and he can point you in a great direction. Also, Rhodes charges an entry fee - Half Moon doesn't as long as you buy something to eat or drink.

Xtabi or Samsara, same, same they are located right next to each other.

Couples will do a snorkeling excursion that will take you to the Negril Reef which is nice, but crowded.

Hedo should jump in here as he's done a lot of diving in and around Negril.

In snorkeling around my house (on the cliffs) I've never seen "large species" but I've seen a sea turtle once (in about 10 years, lol) and a few Moray Eels. The beach spots you'll probably see a few Rays. Understand that the reefs around Negril have been very damaged by pollution and hurricanes - the reef by my house was pretty well obliterated in Hurricane Ivan.

Edited: 10:20 am, February 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Half Moon Beach
Half Moon Beach
396 Reviews
Jamaica
Half Moon
Half Moon
2,303 Reviews
Jamaica
Xtabi Resort
Xtabi Resort
500 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant At Catcha Falling Star Hotel
Ivan's Bar & Restaurant...
2,076 Reviews
Jamaica
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

"Mexico Reef" is apparently the "best" spot CSA takes guests to. I have read in numerous CSA threads to ask to be taken to "Mexico Reef". Maybe it is known by another name to locals and non CSA guests...

Thanks RastaGirl, and I will look forward to hearing from Hedo...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
630 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

Hedo is out there somewhere, but you are right. Mexico probably would be considered the most diverse site with a sunken cannon and anchor. The coral too is nice and you never know when a turtle or large ray will be coming through. The snorkle boat at Swept Away tries to take their guests to a diff. spot , however, I think that number has decreased to 5. Still, the same spot, every trip, will be diff. Don't forget, all "snarklin" is included at Swept Away and if there is room, you can go a couple of times a day.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

The best snorkelling trip I have been on is with Famous Vincent. He comes right out in the water with you and takes you all the way through the reef. It's a good hour or more of snorkelling.

You can reach Vincent at 876-473-6910. He will come and pick you up.

Very reasonable too at $25 per person.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

I don't snorkel all that often and when I do, I generally do not ask where we are going. Actually did not know the names of the places we moored up, just the general location.

I do enjoy the site with the cannon and I would say that this is my favorite.

The location adjacent to Rutland Point is nice, but I recall it was a bit deep for inexperienced snorkelers.

The location adjacent to Booby Cay (seaward side) was lively.

I have never snorkeled in the cliffs regions.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

Thanks for the info on "Mexico reef". Been on snorkel trips a few dozen times along the beach and don't know it by that name.

There are often decent sized rays (~3 ft) along the beaches near Rutland point - around Point Village. And the southern end of Bloody Bay near Pt. Village is nice for the usual reef fish and coral. Booby Cay Island is VERY picturesque, and a great 10 min kayak from Pt. Village.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
906 Reviews
Jamaica
Akron,Ohio
Level Contributor
630 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

The, here's another idea. If you are bringing your own gear, book the Cat. cruise and bring it with you. My wife and I did that last year, and while the Cat was moored, and everyopne was swimming, we snorkled. Probably more to see at the reef locations, but it was deeper so the dive down was better. It's different and was a good time. And included. A free snorkle at the cliff area.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

Great thanks! And yes, we will be bringing our own snorkel gear so that sounds like a good idea.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

Another fun option if you're staying at a place with kayaks is to bring a light rope, so you can kayak to various spots, then jump in with your boat tied to your arm. An easy way to snorkel around Booby Cay, Bloody Bay, or some of the closer reefs in Long Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Bloody Bay
Bloody Bay
906 Reviews
Jamaica
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots in Negril

Thanks for all the great information