We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto, canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

I'm planning a trip to Rock house resort with friends in Nov. and was just wondering if anyone out there knows what state the resort is in. I heared a rumor that Rick's Cafe had been demolished by Ivan and am hoping that this isn't true. If anyone out there knows anything please reply! Thanks a lot!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

Hi, The Rock House is up and running.

The west end section of Negril got devastated.

This is why Ricks Cafe is a thing of the past.

Catch a falling Star, Drumville Cove, Mariners Inn, Negril Inn and Rock Cliff

are all closed untill further notice.

They stilll have a lively bulletin board on the site, negril.com

A lot of interesting facts can be seen.

Enjoy your stay!

culver city, ca
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

I'm getting married at the Rockhouse in November -- we'll be there the 8th - 15th. I've been in touch with the people there and they are fine. They had some cosmetic damage but it's pretty much back to normal and they are making a few improvements while they clean up. If you're there during that time, look us up - we'll meet you at the pool bar for a rum punch! It's such a great place - you're going to love it.

Akron,OH
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

Hi-

My husband and I just returned from the Rockhouse Oct. 7th. There was some damage to the landscape and a couple of rooms, but overall it has fared the best out of some of the places we saw. They were diligently working on repairing a wall and planting. If you haven't been, it's an absolutley gorgeous place to stay. I am certain it will be back to normal by November.

As for Rick's cafe...we drove by on our boat (snorkelling outing) and there isn't much left.

Hope this info. helps!

Hamilton Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

I just got back from Nigrel and there is no Rick's Cafe.The owner has picked up and left it.There was alot of damage from Ivan and he had just had to much after he was ding renovatins and put alot of money into it and hten it was hit hard by Ivan. Although there is a bar next door that is now the place to go called Sarasoma or something like that. But this is now where the Sunset cruises will take people but it nothing like Rick's cafe.

Wall, NJ
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

I can't believe Rick's Cafe is gone after all these years!! Wow! My husband jumped off the cliffs there last November and we had so much fun. I'm sure someone will rebuild it, it's such a landmark of Negril.

And the place next door is called Samsara. I got married in a house right next door last year.

near Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

When we were in Negril a few years ago, we cliff-dove from a place that also had a water slide, called something like the Pickled Parrot...is it still there, and operational? How close is it to where Rick's Cafe used to be?

Illinois
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

Pickled Parrot is closed & the property has now been acquired by RockHouse to expand their resort...

Athens, Ga
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Damage to Rock house Resort? Rick's Cafe?

Hard to believe Rick's is gone. We first cliff dove there many years ago before Rick's got famous, you know, when it still looked like THE Rick's Cafe from the movie. We liked it better then , but it was still fun after the renovations, or perhaps we should say , in spite of them. It would really be nice if someone had photos of the place, before and after the changes were done. If anyone still has pics of the old place send them to our address: fowler_todd@hotmail.com. Someone needs to buy that property who will restore it to the fun place it was.Todd and Deborah Fowler