We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril is it safe ?

13 posts
Save Topic
Negril is it safe ?

Hi i want to travel ti Negril in October of next year for a 2 week holiday by myself, ideally i do not want to stay in a AI hotel but that depends on the response i get. Would it be safe for me wander around Negril by self and along the beach during the day would it be for venture out at night and sample Negrils nightlife eg Margraiteville ricks and places on the beach. obviously using common sense not flashing alot of money around jewellery and so on and not getting to drunk making my self vulnerable.

i expect i would get pestered people trying to sell thing and so on but in general do they accept no as a answer and go on there way. The reason i ask is my parents went to Jamaica in the 80s and they told me they were not allowed to leave the hotel and the beach was fenced off with armed security patrolling it..

Just one more question ive been told october is still the hurricane season so would there be alot of rain and rough seas with not much blue sky.

Regards Gemma

N.J.
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril is it safe ?

Hello,

I am going to negril soon and have been there many many times i am older and single and travel solo. i love negril so so much! i dont walk the beach at night if i go somewhere i take a cab during the day i drink and swim and walk the beach it is amazing and wonderful. you will never want to go anywhere else i know its the place for me!

c

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril is it safe ?

ditto believe

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril is it safe ?

October can be hit or miss. We've been twice in October - one year was perfect weather, the other year was tropical storm and 3 solid days of rain and not leaving our room.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril is it safe ?

Gemma

I have been traveling to Negril for over 30 years solo, as a couple, with my daughter, sister, family, extended family and friends. Love it. Just like anywhere keep your wits about you and have fun. Negril has been my #1 choice for solo trips to this day and always do non inclusive when traveling solo, my escape.

May I suggest with a 2 week holiday doing a split stay at 2 resorts on Long Bay Beach, it is good to mix things up. Or a split with time spent at a resort on the cliffs in addition to Long Bay would be my choice.

Always use a private recommended driver at night and always let the front desk attendant know where you are going at night. Do not walk the beach alone at night. Just like anywhere always be aware of your surroundings. You will be asked <where is your husband?> and <where are you staying?> and the always every time question <first time here?>. Don't tell strangers where you are staying, do not admit it is your first time in Negril and say your husband is golfing or waiting in your room for you if you don't want to be bothered.

October is hurricane season so no guarantees of weather, buy insurance. Sweet deals to be had during low season so people do travel in October.

Enjoy your research and enjoy Negril!

13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril is it safe ?

Weather wise would i be better off going in November/December, i want to come home with a nice tan, And what is the shopping like in Jamaica for souvenirs and clothes are the shops fixed price or can you barter with them

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril is it safe ?

1st 2 weeks in December would be my choice. Always barter for price it is expected within reason.

N.J.
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril is it safe ?

there are trinkets everywhere you go in negril .i stick to the homemade stuff .

sometimes i ask "is this the best you can do" as far as price if its an old woman i usually just pay up it depends on what it is and the person i deal with.

the people are amazing and wonderful .beautiful beautiful peopleeverywhere.

c

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril is it safe ?

believe

Yes I agree, amazing, wonderful, beautiful people are everywhere in Negril. This is a large factor in my return visits as I feel watched over with care and enjoy the relationships I have developed over the years.

However, there are a select few <men> with ulterior motives when it comes to solo women travelers. Eyes are everywhere.

9. Re: Negril is it safe ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:51 pm, January 01, 2015
N.J.
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Negril is it safe ?

negril beach,

hee hee ........yes i know!