We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Sandy

Tennessee
Level Contributor
190 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Sandy

Hi: I'm departing 11/3 for the cliffs. Any advice for those in Negril or Jamaica in general? Will the infrastruture survive? Should I have any reservations about going? Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hurricane Sandy

I wish I could copy and paste the picture Couples has on their website of the storm and the close up picture of Jamaica- makes understanding it easier.

couples.com/mb/…

The picture shows you where the eye was after leaving Jamaica at 5 pm, but you can see kingston on the map, and see it's general direction.

The picture of Jamaica shows you the " eye" of the storm, and everything in blue around it is also the hurricane. The " eye " entered Jamaica at kingston and headed North until it left the island. The actual hurricane came near to Ocho Rios, but never actually thru the town. However, the closer to the hurricane you have more damaging winds. Thus the reason, resorts in Ocho are having damage.

The map also shows you that Montego bay is a ways from the actual hurricane ( further west) , and Negril even further. Therefore, Montego bay had more rain and winds then Negril, causing some damage in these areas.

Luckily the storm did not enter Jamaica in Kingston and head West, or there would have been more problems.

Edited: 5:19 pm, October 25, 2012
Colonia, New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Your going to love the cliffs and love your trip. Use your common sense and you will have a great vacation. I recommend x-tabi for dining and beautiful sunsets. The cliffs are not going to fall into the caribbean at this point.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Hurricane Sandy

I'm in Negril right now...

Negril barely got any rain or winds during Sandy...the winds & rain being minimal...there's no damage to speak of....

Enjoy your vacation!!

Edited: 7:34 pm, October 25, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Hurricane Sandy

We are headed to the Sunset at the Palms Resort in Negril this weekend....We fly in to Montego Bay...then land travel to Negril...can we can from Montego Bay to Negril and does anyone know if the Palms Resort is open and running per normal? I do know the airports were closed in Jamaica Tues. and Wed....or at least our US News said they were.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Read the post above yours, vgailpd: "there's no damage to speak of".

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hurricane Sandy

vgailpd,

You will love SATP...I have stayed several times and had a wonderful time.

Enjoy!

leprechaunshag

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hurricane Sandy

We arrive on Halloween. I hope we don't see Frankenstorm when stopping in Charlotte.

jamaica
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hurricane Sandy

Negril get a lot of its beach back since Sandy, most places have wider beach now.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hurricane Sandy

I'm relieved that no damage was done in Negril but I can't say that for the Atlantic coast all the way to NYC, Hurricane Sandy is definitely MAD at someone, anyone have their flight to MBJ cancelled??

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hurricane Sandy

I recommend eating and watching the show at The SeaStar on the West End Road. They pick you up and shuttle you home after the dinner and show. $25.00 buffet. AND you might want to try Ciao Jamaica Italian at SamSarara.Enjoy