We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bloody bay vs long Beach

Hoby
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Bloody bay vs long Beach

Hello. We are considering Jamaica for our next holiday.

Having looked around I read that the beach at the club hotel Riu Negril is man made and that the sea is not so nice with 'muddy' bottom.

We really love the beach and would want not want to compromise on this.

Could someone please tell me if the beach is like this for all of bloody bay? For instance people seem to like the Riu palace and Couples Negril which are on this beach too. Is this beach here better than the Riu club hotel?

We are also looking at Couples swept away but it is more expensive.

I am sure the beach and sea are great here. Is it better than beach at riu palace and Couples Negril though?

Thanks for any advice about this.

Finally we are also looking at Punta Cana so if someone has been to both and could suggest comparisons to consider that would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

The Beach at Couples Negril is BEAUTIFUL as is the beach at RIU Tropical Palace. The issue with the beach at Club RIU Negril is that the entire complex was built over a swamp/marsh area.

The main difference bettween Bloody Bay and Long Bay is Long Bay is of course .....Longer at about 5 miles and BB is about 1.7 miles. BB is also wider in most parts of course after this current hurricane who knows what the current conditions will be.

Long Bay has a lot more vendors then does BB. You will also have plenty of local bars, AI resorts, local resorts and eateries along Long Bay whereas BB is comprised of just large AI resorts.

We have been to Jamaica at least 7 times and the Dominican Republic about 6 times. Our trips to the DR included Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and LaRomana. The main difference between PC & Negril is the water conditions. The water in Negril is extremely calm with no wave action. PC is on the rough side to the point that we actually spent most of our time at the pool on every trip.

Also you need to deal with non-potable drinking water in the DR, while the water is perfectly safe in Jamaica. Some may have to deal with the language barrier as well. Food safety standards are less then good in PC. I have even contracted an intestinal parasite on our last trip to Punta Cana.

If you are one to get out and explore it is really easy to do in Negril. However in PC there really is nothing to do on your own. There are no markets, no history or culture really to see and anything you want to do outside of the resort really needs to be with an organized tour. PC is basically a resort based vacation. Once you get to the resort plan on staying inside the walls unless you want to spend some $$$ to do the tours, which will be about $100.00 PP per tour.

If you have any specific questions let me know here or via a PM. I will do my best to answer.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

If you walk 100 feet off of RIU Club property, the beach is great, and it stays great all the way to the other end of BB.

Spfld Missouri
Level Contributor
157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

we have stayed at club twice. The bottom is a little muddy, buy I take fins and snorkle to explore. Like said above a few hundred feet the beach is real nice and you are free to walk there

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

The beach at Club RIU is man-made: sand dumped on rocky terrain.

The beach associated with Couples Negril, RIU Tropical Bay and Breezes Grand Negril are excellent.

Long Bay has some charming resorts. What comes to mind is CoCo La Palm, Grand Pineapple (entry-level AI), Idle Awhile. Onestopnegril.com has a bigger list.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

You need to be clearer about what you want. Couples is adults only, while Riu allows the ankle biters.

Trips to DR are usually based on price, while the better Jamaican resorts are based on what people really want, and are prepared to pay for.

What are the things you really want in a great resort and vacation?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

They allow small nipping dogs at the Riu?? (snicker... jk)

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

Long bay > bloody bay

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

Been to both many times.....Long Bay has a stronger pull for us but both have their draws......

Hoby
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

Thank so much for the replies which have really helped.

I think I would be happy at both bays but not the club hotel.

I think the calm waters win over the potentially rougher punta Cana too.

Very tempted to book the Riu palace now. We stayed at one in playacar mexico and loved it there..

Thank again.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bloody bay vs long Beach

Unless you have children with you, I would strongly recommend either Couples Negril or Breezes Grand.

For me it would be Couples Negril. The beach is wonderful, the service is outstanding.