We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Opinion is appreciated...

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
641 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Your Opinion is appreciated...

Having always vacated on the South side of Mexico as well as Huatuclo we are looking at getting out of our comfort zone for 2014. I realize that is quite a bit away but I like to research and plan my vacations to death! After a wee bit of research I’m thinking Negril is what we are looking for. I really like the looks of the seven mile beach area. But as for properties to stay at, I am at a loss. Until we get used to an area we like to stay at AI’s. Any suggestions????

Here is a wee bit about ourselves to help you... help us! Lol

We are not needy people. We, like most like a great beach, nice clean rooms (nothing fancy), clean and a few pools to choose from, a spread out type of a resort (no high rises), balconies are a must, and edible / decent food. Oh! and we are not weathly! lol

So I’m thinking 3.5 / 4 star and up. Is there anything comparable to Dreams Resort chains?

I liked the looks of The Grand Pineapple but from what I read it is no longer open? Has it been bought by someone else under a different name perhaps?

Any advise to shoot us in the right direction would save me a lot of reseach. This way I can just zone in on a certain area. Thanx in advance

Edited: 4:32 pm, October 03, 2012
Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

Check out Couples Swept Away --- I think it ticks all your boxes.

Alexandria Bay
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

You can not go wrong with Couples Negril, Couples Swept away, or Sandals Negril.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

If price is a big concern then that rules out Couples and Sandals. The RIU Palace is your next option. One thing to understand is that Jamaica is more expensive than Mexico for what is on your wish list.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
510 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

Check out a lot of your various options at negrilonestop

You might also try something different and unique by opting for hedonism II

Edited: 5:26 pm, October 03, 2012
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

We have stayed at Sunst at the Palms tice now and love it ...beach is across the road but literally a two minute walk....the property itself is stunningly beautiful...small pool but nobody ever there so like having your own private area...but the beach is amazing...the food was great both times and the staff are superb...the customer service is hard to beat...very small all- inclusive with few amenities but there is just something special about the setting...check it out ion the Internet...gets rave reviews and personally we found the price quite reasonable..stayed two weeks both times and loved every minute..we are going to Couples this year only because our friends asked us to join them and Couples is where they go ...but it is quite a bit more money..so I guess you have to look at your budget..but if you want lots of R&R on a beautiful beach with good food and service the sunset may be a good choice. we will definitely go back next year..no hesitation whatsoever!!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

We love Seven Mile Beach also and have stayed at Sandals Negril five times and love it. You can walk the full stretch of beach from SN. The food is the best of all the Sandals we have been too, and that's alot. The staff is great and no high rises. Feel free to ask specific questions or send a PM.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,212 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

I'm a regular Mexico visitor (Puerto Vallarta usually) with a few trips to Negril (most recent summer 2010). I have a great time both places, and don't find either one out of my "comfort zone" but did find Jamaica significantly more expensive for simiar levels of whatever (hotel, restaurants, etc.). Sorry never stay AI so can't help with that.

suze

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

Hey suze2you, what are you doing in this area? We see you all the time in the Hawaii forums. True, Jamaica does tend to be more expensive then Mexico. But you have loved our many trips to Jamaica.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

a few non-AI type hotels do offer meals plans. If you find the Couples, Sandals etc end up out of the price range, Seawind offers meal plans with rooms at really good rates:

www.seawindresortjamaica.com/e-rates.htm

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,212 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your Opinion is appreciated...

RandB travel hey to you too... I've been to Negril 3 times, twice in ancient history and once more recently when a group of a dozen old friends had a reunion on the Cliffs. Yes I'm also on the Oahu, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo forums regularly too. I'm an equal opportunity tropical vacationer!

suze