We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
central new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Planning a trip late jan 13. Really leaning towards Csa but... The huslers on the beach issue. I've read a lot in the forums about it not being bad and a "no thanks" will suffice and other reports saying it was horrible. Now... I've spent time traveling India and this is also my second trip to Jamaica ( although the first trip was to the iberostar in mo bay) so I'm not really a stranger to venders, huslers, and beggers. Would actualy like being able to walk to jerk stands etc on the beach although I probably would not walk it at night. My gf, however, may not be as adaptable as I am. Her anxiety level goes through the roof under high pressure situations especialy on unfamiliar turf. For that reason alone I'm considering cn because I hear the vender issue is less prevalent on bloody bay. But honestly, Csa, in all other respects looks more like what we want. Imput and advice please. And just telling her to calm down isn't really a feasible option. May be easy for some but regardless of whether you feel her anxiety is justified or not it is still very real for her.

central new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Just booked Csa for 7 nights late January! So excited! Thank you all!

Tacoma, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

I'm sure you will love CSA. I've had clients at both CSA and CN and CSA is much preferred. And, by the way, the best jerk is up on the road anyway. You won't be bothered as much up there, except by the taxi's slowing down to see if you need them. Just say no thanks and they move along. Have a fabulous trip.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Jered,

I think you made a good decision. I understand the anxiety your GF feels when being approached and overwhelmed by vendors. It can be a scarey situation. Most vendors on the 7 mile beach are not like that. They just want to make a sale so they can take some money home and buy food. I find they are most persistent on Thursdays because their "market day" is on Friday. On Thursdays I make it a point to buy something from them or I will give the vendors I know a few dollars. A little goodwill and respect goes a long way.

If you like real Jamaican food you need to walk down the beach and try out some of the restaurants and small food stands along the way. There is a guy that walks the beach who carries a basket with good things too. We've bought lobsters, patties, coco bread and banana bread from him.

I hope you and your GF enjoy Negril and CSA. It's our favorite place.

KK

South Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Jered77.....My husband and I stayed at CSA....and really enjoyed it. I wanted to suggest to you since you mentioned that your a chef....you may want to go to the cliffs on the westend and try some of the restaurants in that area as well. Have a wonderful and safe trip. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

I personally enjoy Negril. But it IS a little rough and rugged compared to other beachy vacation spots, and does have some certain unique issues imo. I would never recommend it for a timid or anxious person, quite honestly.

While Cancun is not my thing (too touristy line up of man-made resorts) I have been to Mexico 20+ times and am much more comfortable there than I am in Jamaica (as far as not having to think about personal safety or getting seriously hassled or into a 'situation')

most sincerely, suze

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

<<I personally enjoy Negril. But it IS a little rough and rugged compared to other beachy vacation spots, and does have some certain unique issues imo. I would never recommend it for a timid or anxious person, quite honestly.

Though I am sure this is true when speaking of Negril in general, I think that for your gf's needs, this does not apply to a stay at CSA. For better or worse, depending on your perspective, you will be sheltered from the full Negril experience by staying at CSA. You will arrive at the airport, head straight to the Couples lounge where your bags will be handled. You'll take Couples transportation directly to the resort. Once on the resort, all the info you've been given in earlier posts applies. It is a very easy travel experience where your girlfriend will feel quite safe and protected. I hope you both love CSA!

Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Honestly, go to Couples in Ocho Rios, stay away from Negril your GF will be miserable for sure. We have have been to Jamaica 6 times over the years and the reason we continue to come back is because of the people and the beaches. This past July we decided to check out Negril regardless of the stories we have heard since the hustler thing never bothered us, until now. I understand why the hustlers are attempting to aggressively push their items, i.e., economy or supply/demand. Yes, each day our daily walks consisted of being approached, constantly. Then on our 4th day, no sooner did we step off the area from our hotel, we were approached and harrassed, despite our respectful, no thanks by an individual who decided that since we were not interested he would proceed to yell obsenities at us then threatened extreme bodily harm. We approached security at a hotel property who could clearly hear what this person was saying. We thought if we would just get a drink at the bar this person would leave., not. He stayed the entire time we were at this bar at the edge of the hotel property. At this point, it was decided that we could not walk back on the beach to our hotel and had to leave via the front of the hotel along the main road. Walking along the road we decided that since this was our vacation, we were simply getting tired of the daily routine of walking the beach, having to constantly stop our conversation to say no thanks and now since our safety was a concern due to his comments, it wasn't worth staying on 7 mile. We checked out of our hotel and moved up to the cliffs for the remainder of our vacation. So my suggestion would be to definitely visit Jamaica, you could split your trip up between two properties, i.,e Ocho then up to the cliffs, it's a whole different world there and quite amazing. Your vacation with your GF should not have to involved anxiety, then it would simply not be a vacation.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

We just returned from a 12 day split between CN/CSA. We walked the beach at both daily. While I am quite sure there will always be that one person who decides to haress I can assure you it is not the norm.

we did encounter many who asked us to look at their wares, a few offers of drugs where we just said no thanks we are drug tested and walked on. NEVER were we "harassed" or felt threatened in any way.

I do agree that Couples Tower Isle would be the PERFECT place to ensure a completely private and vendor free vacation. We loved it there as well.

However you will surely miss all of the wonderful musicians that stroll the beach daily, the awesome beach of negril and the beautiful placid water.

If walking the beach OUTSIDE of CSA is too much just stay on property. Your beautiful GF will feel very safe and secure ;-)

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

Givemesun--just curious, did you stay at CSA or a different resort on Long Bay?

30. Re: Need some real advice about venders, Csa and cn pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2013