We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Hello; has anyone else heard anything about the ClubHotel being closed for a few months to be renovated? I was going through the most recent reviews and one mentioned that perhaps the reason why some of the front desk staff weren't very friendly was because they may be losing their jobs due to the hotel closing for a while.

I was curious because I have a friend trying to put a group trip together for November, but I don't think she's aware of any of this.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Riu always closes their properties when renovating. They did It wit the Bambu in DR, right now at the Jalisco in Vallarta. This riu is older and could use some renovating.

Oxford Mills, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

We were just there First week of February and yes they will be closing for 3 months for renovations I believe starting in August. Adding a sports bar and Japanese restaurant and new pool at beach bar area and renovating the Beach Bar.

Milwaukee, WI.
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

If true, that's a good example of "Jamaican time". Only two years from first rumor.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

How did you like your stay there? We are planning a destination wedding there next feb!

Windsor, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Ditto on that, heard the same thing from higher employees when I was there in Jan./14

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

We are going in the next week and a half. I had heard the same thing and called RIU directly before booking ( 2 different times to be safe). They are closing for a few months to remodel but not until August 2015.

Portsmouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Yes it is true was speaking to management and was closing from July for 6 months to 1 year.

Portsmouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

sorry i was there feb 2014 and it is closing.

Schulenburg, Tx
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Hello everyone, I received a reply to the same question. The reply was from Alicia the Hotel Riu Club Negril manager, stating the hotel would not be closed for renovations in 2014. Later the same day I received a reply from RIU International , stating that they (Riu) will not be closing in 2014 for renovations, but will be making improvements to the hotel in 2015. I have a week's stay planned for September 2014, at this Riu Club Negril resort. Hope this helps answer any questions. Rick

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: ClubHotel Riu Negril closing for renovations?

Don't forget the RIU Tropical bay closed a few years ago for some months to renovate and become a palace resort.

They did inform people in advance, I recall. I stayed there in May 08 and knew then that it was closing for refurb from all the staff.

So if the are closing they will inform you, and won't accept bookings.

Post above seems to have got in from the horses mouth.