We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundowner Hotel

Holmdel, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Sundowner Hotel

Vacationed at a hotel called The Sundowner in 1983 in Negril, when there were very few other hotels in the area. Can anyone tell me if it is still there and/or what it is now called if its name has changed. Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundowner Hotel

I was once told that The Sundowner was built in the late 1960's. It closed a bit after you were there in the mid 1980's (give or take a few years). In 1988 it re-opend as part of Sandals Negril having been combined with the former Coconut Grove Hotel and a large new building (built by Sandals). If you visit Sandals Negril today you will find what is left of the old hotel, a pool, a bar and a dining area, on the southern side of Sandals Negril.

Holmdel, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundowner Hotel

Thanks for the info. This vacation was a big one the year after we were married. It was a gorgeous place and in those days one of the only resorts in the area. Always wondered if, with all the new resorts, it had survived. We have never gone back to Negril; it has changed too much and the experience would not be the same. We will cherish our memories of the Sundowner as it was on that long-ago vacation.

St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundowner Hotel

it was the first main resort on Negril Beach and mi actually met the old owner a few years back up on the Cliffs at Ivans as she was visiting the owners Tom and Sandy of the new Sandowner on the Cliffs........

Cool Runnings, Marko

HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~Bourbon Beach 12

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundowner Hotel

If any consequence Sandals Negril pays homage to the old Sundowner by naming one of their restaurants after it as well as the building which houses the crystal lagoon suites. I too have stayed at the old Sundowner and am amazed to this day how much things have changed but Negril is like a magnet to me I will continue to come back every year as I have for the past 30 years.

Holmdel, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundowner Hotel

Thanks for your response!

Clermont, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundowner Hotel

We have been married for 40 years this year, we had our honeymoon at the Sundowner Hotel, it was a beautiful, secluded paradise, I will never forget it.

Holmdel, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundowner Hotel

Regina, we have very nostalgic memories of the Sundowner. It was like magic, as was Negril in those days. We used to take the bus to other restaurants and into town. There was an old caretaker(?) there we used to call Bonefish Joe. He told us we would have sons. And we did, three of them. Would love to relive that memory.

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sundowner Hotel

We vacationed at the Sunndowner a couple of times... It was a great place. When we were there the "caretaker" was an old gent called Mr. Natch (which was sort for Mr. Natural, I think). He did a great job of keeping panhandlers and pot sellers away from the guests, and getting us fresh coconut milk to drink from nearby trees. The place was aptly named as the sunsets were spectacular.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sundowner Hotel

Wow great thread! Now my husband and I know the history of the Sundowner at SN. Thanks!!! That just makes our experience even more special.

10. Re: Sundowner Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 28, 2014