We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Pictures of People In Negril

I addressed this topic in the "topless" post but I feel it's important enough to create a thread.

.."I am always astonished by the women who are concerned about if someone takes their picture nude on the beach"....a quote from the "topless" post. Of course they are concerned. Someone is taking a picture of them without their permission...topless or not, that is unacceptable.

I personally HATE IT when someone I do not know points a camera at me, whether I am clothed or unclothed. It is RUDE to take someone's picture without asking their permission. I live in a tourist town in Northern California, next to a popular landmark/tourist spot and have had the occasion many times to halt video taping of my home or my person without my permission...most times pleasantly, once not so pleasantly. It happened to me as well when I was on tour with the Grateful Dead. My position is that I am not the topic of your vacation or experience, leave me alone.

When taking photos on your vacation I know it's "quaint" to take pictures of the children in their school uniforms etc....but make sure you ask first and don't be surprised if they ask you for money. (The children we took pictures of in Roaring River didn't ask, we offered to give them treats (candy and such) but their parents refused to allow them to accept.)

Once again it is a respect issue...locals, tourists on the beach, children all have the right to refuse to have their photograph taken. When we take pictures of people we ask, most often not refused, or we tend to take "broad" shots that are non-descript (for example, a busy market in Lucea or Sav). Mostly we take pictures of our friends. :)

So please folks, this little topic may seem insignificant but it's important to respect everyone's privacy and wishes. Ask first, shoot questions later ;)

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Jazzydiva, I didn't accuse you of taking pix of folks without permission, I'm sorry if you read my post that way. I was using your quote simply to illustrate a point. No, unfortunately I am not always on alert but if I see someone pointing a camera at me, I certainly will say something to that person. Of course you might get caught off guard, flat on your back, boobies in the breeze and some perv taking your pic and posting it on the net. If that concerns you (you in the royal sense not you personally) then yes, leave your clothing on, strange people are everywhere.

You'd be surprised how many people think there's no harm in just snapping away at "locals" and "cute children" and "nice homes". It's an invasion of privacy, that was the point I was trying to make. I'm not surprised to find out that the folks on this forum are already aware of the "manners" involved in taking vacation photos but some just might not be aware...they are not bad people, just un-aware.

BTW..."paparazzi" use super-long lenses to get those horrible pictures of Britney Spears, Cher coming out of the spa with her facial mask still on etc. They perch in trees, lurk behind buildings, shoot from the 7th floor of the building across the street. What they do is disgusting but they get paid a premium from it. And any celebrity with a publicist worth their salt will tell them if you don't want to get "shot" by paparazzi, avoid places like The Ivy. But you know what? They are celebrities and you only stay a celebrity as long as your picture shows up in the "Celebrities, they are just like Us!" column of US magazine.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Good post, Rastagirl.

I am one of those who always have a camera as an extension of my arm. I am so very carefiul to keep from offending anyone when I travel with my camera, and I always,always ask; never assume. If I am capturing someone at their place of business in Ja, I make sure that I also purchase something from them-it's just good will. Many times I will also thank them, and they find a folded up bill in my handshake. I hope this isn't offensive, as it's my intent to help.

Plus, I crave Jamaica when I am at home in the US, and I must have my digital memories here with me to get me through....I am just an amateur but also a highly creative individual...I am able to "be there again" when I review my photos over and over....

All the folks who have allowed me to photograph them seemed to really enjoy posing for me, it was really a delight.

One man insisted that we find a patch of flowers he could stand in front of....

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble....

One Love!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Did you know as soon as you walk in to any Wal-Mart store you are on video? In fact lots of banks and even small stores have them now. What can we do? What about the jerks who put them in bathrooms. People are going to take your picture and that all there is to it. I do not like it either but everybody has a camera now it seems. Even the cell phones have them so you never do know. When outside act like you would if you were on tv cause you never do know when some is taking your picture.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Rastagirl,

You do make a good point regarding privacy.

I do agree it is a respect issue.

Thank you for emphasizing my point about thinking twice about your behavior in public, if you would be ashamed of others to see you.

Although, in this technological world in which we live it would seem that our expectations for privacy are sometimes unrealistic. We are photographed, video taped, and recorded much more than we realize.

Great Topic!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Don't even get me started on the "Big Brother" thing. Sigh.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
109 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

I agree that you should have respect while photographing on vacation, especially of local people who might not even be aware that there is a camera near.And I find it tasteless and have no desire to photograph someone elses favorite plastic surgery.

But, I'm sorry, these girls have to know that when they take their tops off people will look! Just like, if you dance on a bar in Cabo topless or lift up your shirt for beads at Mardi Gras , PEOPLE WILL LOOK!

You have to admit it is rather a novelty for US men (other than their girlfriends or wives) they don't see a whole lot of public nudity, so naturally they will look.

If you don't want your boobies sunburned, chapped or photographed then keep them under cover, because you don't have control over someone elses camera. Just like I don't have control over the fact that your happliy flashing your boobies at my 13 year old son.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Well, I sure am all for not photographing anyone without their permission, regardless of attire or lack thereof.

In many visits to Jamaica, I've often photographed friends and family with permission. I never share these photos on the internet and mostly they are just photos I give back as gifts as we watch the children growing. That said, it's enjoyable to look at the many photos of Jamaica and her people that others have taken.

As others above have said, what is offensive is when people snap away with their cameras without regard or permission. Also, when photographers post photos taken,perhaps even with consent and write captions with them that degrade the subject. This drives me nuts and I find it plain disrespectful. In the past, I've gotten into heated discussions on this matter on other boards. Recently, I saw a photo online of a man I know who's picture was used in a villa advertisement. He had no idea. When I showed him the site, he was shocked and upset. Surely, the person who used his photo thought he'd be flattered. He wasn't.

Ultimately, I guess we can only control what we as individuals do.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

Ms.L. - There are laws in the USA preventing such a thing from happening to a person. If the company that used his photo is owned by a US Citizen you friend can sue and win.

In order for anyone to use anyone's image in an advertisement they must obtain a release from the individual. The only variances I've seen to this law is in a convention or special event that I've attended where when you sign your registration material you are also signing off allowing the organization conducting the event to use your image in promotional material.

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Taking Pictures of People In Negril

rastagirl, When we looked it up, rasta took the website information. I'm not sure if he'll do anything with it. It was a strange thing to see him find himself there on the www..kind of awed for a second and then realizing that he barely even knows this villa. He said that people ask to take his picture all the time. Interesting to see it from his perspective.