We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How wild is Rick's?

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How wild is Rick's?

We were looking around at menus Ricks, 3 dives,rockhouse ect.. Clicked on a link cabana's for rent ad states no orgies please?? Can anyone tell me who has gone before just how crazy this place is?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How wild is Rick's?

Visit Rick's and then you can say you have been there! Jump off the cliff - it will be a GREAT experience! They do have new cabana's to rent but I haven't seen a sign like that! The place is very touristy and can cost lots of money!

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How wild is Rick's?

Rick's is like a Hollywood version of Jamaica, you kind of expect to see Tom Cruise Tending bar and tossing bottles around

Illinois
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: How wild is Rick's?

Great place to sit back and people watch for a while and enjoy the sunset. I usually have a bit of a buz before getting there and am content to nurse one or two beers and just watch the people and the divers. IMHO its not the place to get a great meal or the place to do serious drinking. The place is beautiful, the gift shop is not as good as it once was, drinks expensive, food very average.. but I like it

Kentucky
Level Contributor
722 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How wild is Rick's?

What time does the professional diving start? We would like to go there one evening and watch them and like you say go to 3 Dives for dinner.

Indiana
Level Contributor
961 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: How wild is Rick's?

If you are refering to the Jamaicans jumping they are there most of the day.....not sure if there is a time established. They will climb the tree above the cliff and jump from there, seems to be getting somewhat of a nuisance as the years pass they ask more and more for money to jump....few years back it wasn't as demanding and actually the last time I jumped they told me I had to tip to jump.....was suprised...

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: How wild is Rick's?

Kaye, the divers at Rick's don't earn a salary, just tips. I watched them this past Spring Break season spend hours there and just barely collect enough for one jump. The $10 price for a jump has been "standard" (?) since I first came to Negril 12 years ago. They still ask for the same amount...although if each of the three divers approaches you during your time there, it can feel excessive.

I've also been suggesting to them that rather than start off their greeting with "$10 will let you watch me jump from the high tree" they instead let people know they work only for tips and that only $1 will go towards the price of a jump and once they collect $10 they'll be making the climb. If the big tour buses that come to Rick's nightly would announce this to people there would be jumping going on continuously.

Given a choice? Hands down, the best diver there is Cory (aka Spider) - well worth a straight $10, and if that happens, you get more than one dive from him.

The tip box on the wall for visitors has also been there for quite some time now....not sure what advice you really get other than "keep your arms down and legs together"...I haven't made the jump myself yet...