We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

farmers market

minnesota
Level Contributor
216 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
farmers market

is there anything like a farmers market in Negril, for fresh fruits and veggies?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: farmers market

YOu will find a lot of vendors strolling the Long Bay beach with fresh fruits (not sure about veggies).

This is a note about a farmer's market: jamericans.net/cgi-bin/…

The 'tourist' grocery store in Negril is called Hi-Lo. It has those fresh fruits and veggies in abundance.

Montreal
Level Contributor
178 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: farmers market

There is also a fruit and veggie stand on the beach...found some fresh produce there as well as fresh juices

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: farmers market

There are some fruits and vegetables stands near the bridge, close to Juicy Patties. Some times we found farmers selling from their pick-up truck in the same area and up to Hi-Lo. One older guy told us that he was coming every week from the St Elizabeth Parish and was staying 2-3 days until all his merchandise was finished. They all have a variety of fruits and vegetables quite cheap. The fruits vendors that sell on the beach are more expensive and have less of a choice.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: farmers market

Well...there WAS a Farmers Market in Negril in December - there was "supposed" to be one the third Wednesday of every month but none in January.

HiLo's produce is gross - saran wrapped, ugly and looks old. I don't buy any produce there except the occasional onion or chopped calalloo.

The newer grocery store, "Quality Traders" has a much nicer selection of produce and is a lot cheaper than HiLo.

I get my fruit and veg from one of the trucks mentioned above, he comes right to our yard. My veg guy comes down from St. Elizabeth in the morning and goes back each evening. He sells to a regular clientelle of restaurants both on the West End and on the beach so he always has a fantastic selection that we get for "local" prices.

The veg stands on the beach are indeed more spendy and the veg "ladies" up the lane from Paymaster also have a great selection but their prices are less than the beach folks but more expensive than Quality Traders.

5. Re: farmers market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, January 31, 2013