We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Elk Grove Village...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

My wife and I are planning a trip and we are looking at Couples Swept Away in Negril. From what I know, just like any place you have to stay out of some place in Jamaica but the tourist spots are safe and beautiful. Am I right in saying that it is safe to travel to Jamaica right now? We don't like to go out too much but we usually take one night during the vacation to go to clubs and party. Is Jamaica a safe place?

Mentioned in this post
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,859 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Jamaica is as safe as any other Caribbean Island. Don't forget to pack your common sense, natural gut instincts when out and about and you will have no problems.

Stay away from places you have no reason to be...... just like in the USA/Canada/UK. Do not flash wads of cash, wear loads of bling or tell people where you are staying.

You will have a WONDERFUL time in Jamaica. The people are very warm and genuine. They are rather reserved at first. If you engage them in conversation, show an interest in them you will receive so much kindness in return!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
United States
United States
North America
Jamaica
Level Contributor
200 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

" Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?"

Overall crime rate in the country of Jamaica has dropped, so it's safer than a few years ago. As a tourist n the tourist areas, you will do fine. Jamaica has an alarming high crime rate but it doesn't extend to the tourist areas.

In the tourist areas the vendors can be very aggressive, so some don't always feel safe. Sometimes saying NO works, sometimes it takes a bit more. The people are friendly but some can be quite rude and pushy. In the end you might be more bothered than hurt.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Elk Grove Village...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

We are NOT the adventurous kind of couple. We are the "we have a two year old and just want to eat, drink, and relax" type of couple. Like I said, there might be one day we leave the resort or do non resort activities.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Book and enjoy - the beach is beautiful, and if you do leave the resort to venture out, take a trip up to the cliffs for the sunset and a drink ;)

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,426 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Agree with Suz. There's really no worry. Negril is VERY safe. There are some obnoxious hustlers on the beach, but they won't bother you on the CSA grounds, and frankly aren't likely to bother you walking the beach during the day either.

IMHO, walking the beach is a great activity. There are plenty of colorful bars, restaurants, etc... and lots of great photo opportunities. A firm 'no thanks' with a smile is generally sufficient with the beach vendors.

When you want to go out, several of the larger (very good) restaurants will pick you up for free. (We always tip the driver ~$5) Those include The Rockhouse, Xtabi, Kuyaba and The Hungry Lion. All very good. Xtabi is my fav of that bunch.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Rockhouse Hotel
Rockhouse Hotel
1,181 Reviews
Jamaica
Xtabi Resort
Xtabi Resort
501 Reviews
Jamaica
Kuyaba Hotel & Restaurant - Negril
Kuyaba Hotel...
364 Reviews
Jamaica
Fort Mitchell...
Level Contributor
738 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Enjoy your time! My children love Negril so much because of how they are treated. Have never felt "unsafe" with my family. Do as mentioned use your commen sense . Dont put yourself in unsafe situations and you will have nothing but a great time. In Negril all good things come to you, it's a tough concept but it really happens that way. Find a tour operator that is recommended here or other Negril based sites, much less expensive than you will probably find at your resort. Peace

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

You will fall over yourself with the beauty of Swept Away.

I suggested it for a friend of mine for Honeymoon and they were sooooooo pleased. You get to use two propertys Couples and Couples Swept Away...

You will have a great time and will need no fears.......

Edited: 8:59 am, January 21, 2012
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

Tom C,

Please refer to my post #7 in this thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k50875…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

I should have mentioned that my post above is for night time situations. During the day it is perfectly safe to walk the beach.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is travelling to Jamaica safe right now?

If you book Couples Swept Away, you will feel very safe. They have great security. Security staff members are visible on the beach and at the resort entrance at all times. If you leave the resort and to go a nightclub, it is important to keep your wits and not overindulge in alcohol. I would not be comfortable saying that Jamaica is completely safe, because anything can happen. But, if you exercise caution and good judgment, you should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,859 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean