We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs VS Beach?

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs VS Beach?

Hi There

I am new to trip advisor and am searching for good accommodation in Negril in May. I have trawled through the reviews but still can't tell where is the better place to stay? On the Beach or the Cliffs??

I am a 26yo australian female and I will be travelling with another female friend - both singles.

Appreciate your help on the best area for us to stay. I am blown away by how beautiful the cliff views are, but the novelty of being able to wake up and step onto a stretch of beach would be priceless also.....

Thanks

Ashland, Virginia
Level Contributor
772 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

I like the cliffs but would stay on the beach if i were u. more action there

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

Why don't you do a split stay? How long are you going to be on the Island?

BTW....I am so Jealous.....My dream is to one day be able to visit Australia. If you ever wish to do a house exchange for a couple weeks let me know ;-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

It's really a very personal decision based on your travel style.

If I were to recommend to a new Jamaica traveler, I'd say stay on the beach, then visit the cliffs.

Typically, there is more to do and see while staying on the beach. Shopping, people watching, night life, close proximity to places you want to go.

The cliffs is a calmer vibe, beautiful, and there are any number of places to visit but you would likely have to cab it everywhere, at least more often than if you stayed on the beach.

Splitting your trip as recommended above is also an option, however I am too lazy to move once I am settled in my hotel base. I have split trips before and it takes too much time IMO repacking, waiting for the cab, getting upacked at the new hotel, etc.

Wherever you end up, it is best to cab it at night, especially being new to Jamaica.

Edited: 11:06 am, December 11, 2011
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

For my first visit, I did a split stay and preferred the cliffs. However, the beach is so amazing that you cannot go wrong either way. IMO it is easier to stay on the cliffs and visit the beach and get the vibe of staying their than vice versa. If you are stay for a week, you may want to consider a split stay.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

I love the Cliffs myself. But for two single women going together for the 1st time I think the beach might be more to your liking. Things are a bit more easily available there and easier to get around. Either will be great though.

suze

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

I agree. For a first time visit -- the beach.

Edited: 11:38 am, December 11, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

I stayed on the West End of Negril my last trip but spent most of my time on the beach.just remember that route taxis are a ton cheaper than private taxis..it's a 100J from cliffs to roundabout, and another 100J from roundabout to the beach. Price doubles as the night progresses of course.

I suggest finding a good driver and sticking with him. ;)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

Thanks everyone!

Loud & Clear that the beach is the spot to be for first timers. May consider a split stay - we have 9 days but were thinking about going 5 in jamaica and 4 elsewhere in the Carribean - not sure where yet!

Thanks again :) and any additional information is GREATLY appreciated!

Boston
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

I agree with the split idea.

But I would add...a 1/3 beach, 1/3 cliff and 1/3 away from the tourist areas to experience a more local vibe. Or...at least a day away from the tourist areas to see the "real Jamaica".

You can only answer what you want in a vacation. If you want to party 24/7 then the beach area might be the best. If you want to chill out but be within a cheap taxi ride to the nightlife then the cliffs might be the best. If you want to explore the island, the people, the culture then a location away but close to Negril might be the best. Maybe sample all 3 as a test and plan your next vacation based on your results?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliffs VS Beach?

With only 9 days, I definitely would not change islands (as far as your "elsewhere in the Caribbean" comment). If for some reason Negril does not hold your interest for 9 days, I'd go somewhere else in Jamaica.

suze