We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cingular service

indy
Level Contributor
176 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cingular service

Can ayone tell me if their Cingular phones work in Negril? Much appreciated!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cingular service

When I visited last summer cingular shut off my service til I came back to the states.

Indiana
Level Contributor
961 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cingular service

If you are referring to their promise of International usage anywhere, I had a friend that came along w/ us 2 years ago and her phone did not work, needed a different chip and she had the international plan through cingular....unless something has changed since then if you must have a phone, get a Digicell while in Jamaica. Good luck!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cingular service

Yes, it will work but it will cost dearly. I turn my phone off the minute I get on my connecting flight to MoBay...and turn on my JA cell phones. If you can pick up a cell phone there (rent or buy) it will be far less expensive for you (Digicel OR Cable & Wireless have the cell phone plans there). They all operate on pay as you go phone cards. The cost of calls to the US is a fraction of what it would cost were you to use your US phone and incoming calls are all free.

indy
Level Contributor
176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cingular service

Thanks,

I'll be at White Sands 03/27-04/03. Looking forward to it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cingular service

Cingular activated our international service before we left. No charge for the activation, however lots of big charges for the calls home. About 15 minutes of calls was $89 on our bill. They had told me 1.99 per minute but neglected to tell me that that didn't include the long distance charges. I fought the charge and I won, but it wasn't worth my time! Even they website they have wasn't clear as to the long distance charges. I think it's better to get a phone in Jamaica like people talk about. One less thing to worry about after you get home!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cingular service

My response doesn't differ. Cingular works very well but its very costly. I had the same experience as Annikasaunt. I fought my charges, but I had to keep on them to resolve the dispute. My phone bill was twice the cost of my plane ticket. I learned about disputing the charges from other travellers that had the same experience. Even the Cingular rep didn't know they were charging for calls that went directly to voicemail.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cingular service

My friend who came down for the first time last year had his cell phone company activate an "international" plan so he could keep in touch with his daughter. I just asked him what his bill looked like and he rolled his eyes...he's planning on coming down next Christmas, said he'd be grateful to borrow one of our phones :)

southgate, michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cingular service

anyone know about sprint service?

or is it pretty much the same story about all of them-cheaper to get a phone there?

St Louis, MO.
Level Contributor
14 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cingular service

If you have a tri-band or quad-band GPS phone it will work in Jamaica but US phone service providers are very expensive. Hotel phone calls are very pricey too!

Cheaper alternative...Just buy a JA SIM card when in JA to put in your phone & you get a Jamaican phone #. In Negril downtown there's a DigiCel store & they will set it up for you & only cost $10. for SIM card.

You buy phone cards for talk time & it's very cheap & convenient. I think it cost $.34cents to call US & $.10cents to $.17cents to call on island.

Sure was nice to have JA phone # to call JA cab or friends at home for cheap (rubbing in how warm it was in JA). :-)

In MoBay at big grocery store they had a DigiCel counter but the girl was out to lunch when we stopped there & no one else could help so we waited till we got to Negril. There are DigiCel stores in most cities in JA where you can buy a SIM card to switch out in your phone...or you can rent phones in DigiCel store if you don't want to worry about your personal phone...

Hope this helps :-)

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cingular service

Hmmm....a sim card....that's a good idea.....