We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewely

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
akron, ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Jewely

Is it safe to leave some jewls on, or are they better left at home?

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewely

I wear jewelry when I go out in Jamaica but I don't commonly (in my day to day life) wear anything but my plain gold wedding band. I love costume jewelry and save the only good/valuable jewelry that I got from my grandmother in a vault for very, very VERY special occasions.

That said...don't tempt the fates. Leave home diamonds or other precious stone rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets. Bring jewelry with you that if something were to happen to it you would not be devastated (this includes costume pieces that have major sentimental value to you). Also, I've seen women on the beach decked out with huge diamond rings and earrings...so stupid! First, who wears expensive jewelry on the beach and second, it makes you a mark. Maybe not at that moment but if a potential bad person sees you strutting that stuff during the day and you pass by him/her that night, even if you are not wearing the stuff there's a good chance they'll try to rob you. This rule doesn't just apply to JA by the way...it's a good rule of thumb in life in general. The more you flash the more vulnerable you are to thieves. My girlfriends with their meager diamond engagement rings in NYC used to ride the subway with the rings turned around so the stone faced their palm just for this reason.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewely

I have very expensive jewelery and wore it the whole time I was there. First of all it's insured, second of all why do I have it if I can't wear it. I just happened to recieve compliments on it. I don't know that I would wear it if it wasn't insured however. People do notice while there, and I don't mean this to come across as pompous, but I think sometimes I recieved better service because of it, great service at Grand Lido on a day pass (that turned into night) and a tour of the Caves. Met other people while there who said they left all their jewelery at home because they were afraid to wear it. Most of the rooms have safes. I love my jewelery and love to wear it. I pay alot of money in insurance so hey why not. Please no one take offense to what I am saying, but it's just a part of me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewely

RASTA - I'm directing this to you - I think you give EXCELLENT advice on this forum - you should be an EXPERT - And you have stood by me on other threads - Thank you. I hope you have your grandmothers jewelery insured, so you can enjoy what she left you and wear it and think of her when you do. What a wonderful gift! I look at jewelery as an expression by someone (usually love in one form or another) as a very personal thing. Like others may look at tattoos as a personal expression of their emotions/feelings. My jewelery was given to me as an expression of love, and I would hate to think that I could not wear something that I enjoy out of fear. I choose not to look at the price tag of something as others may or may not, but as a reminder of someone who cares about me, I don't want to store that away in a vault I want to live with it. I'm like the old saying, I want to go through this life and at the end, be tired ragged and worn out and say "wow, that was one hell of a ride" instead of being preserved and pristine. You only live once, and I think that my life situation around me realizes that and I am going to enjoy! God bless your grandmother for remembering you - you seem like you are a wonderful person and I have only "met" you on this forum! Sorry if I am going on - I've had a couple of glasses of wine tonight, lol but I think you are great!

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewely

Wearing obvious jewelry on island, let alone

priceless pieces either sentimental or monetary in value, doesn't just tempt the tiefs -- it also sends a 'wrong' message.

We had a guest, perhaps more suitable for

Grand Lido, in a small rustic cottage outside

the touristlands, who insisted on wearing

attire more suitable to a poolside in Vegas

when she lounged out on the end of a long

jetty into the bay. From oversize hat/sunglasses to diamond chains round her neck, wrists, fingers, ankles

and waist, she attracted the eyes of every

passing fisher and became something of

a daily attraction, perhaps the intent. The women in the village were scandalized, of course, since her alluring point was very clear to them from the onset.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewely

I agree with Rastagirl. I would not wear it, or in fact bring it to Jamaica. Nothing AT ALL againist Jamaica, it just seems that you would draw unnecessary attention to yourself.I believe in better safe than sorry. I am talking in particular about Diamond necklaces etc... your wedding ring is your call.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewely

My wife and I are going in April and have had this discussion numerous times. I would say to leave all diamonds at home. My wife has a good size wedding ring and yes it is insured but insurance does not give you back that ring, and the sentimental value is worth more than any amount of money. I would say that a necklace or even a wedding band would be ok but why draw unnecessary attention? I dont have anything against JA...hell I would not let her wear her diamonds to NY where 1 out of every 4 people are mugged. Just use your best judgement...Food for thought

PEACE

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewely

1 out of 4 are mugged in New York? lol. i don't know about that one... maybe 20 years ago... i think, like most things, the danger-factor is often greatly exaggerated and becomes an urban legend retold as fact...

wearing your precious valuables in unfamiliar surroundings not only tempts losing your precious valuables but also risks potential personal injury and potentially offends the local custom and culture... jamaica is not monte carlo and you might not get extra points for being the most bejeweled. ;)

it would seem prudent to use your best judgement. a wedding ring obviously has deep personal meaning and many women never remove their wedding ring under any circumstances. other jewelry beyond that i believe is really optional and not at all necessary. there are few places where diamond earrings or pendants or whatever would be considered par for the course. the need for formal attire in JA is greatly exaggerated. :) and i can certainly understand how the JA culture could have incorrect and preconceived notions about you and your attitude based upon the way you're dressed and how flamboyantly you stand out relative to the rest of the pack.

some people want to stand out - that's cool. just be mindful that you're there to vacation and relax - if you have to spend time worrying about being a potential victim, locking things in a safe, worrying about their safety or yours, that's going to have some impact on your enjoyment of the time spent there i would think.

i'd suggest leaving expensive watches at home as well - there's little need to know what time it is on the island. it's either daytime, nighttime or sunset. knowing only that should be able to get you by most of the time. ;)

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewely

Obayb...thank you so much for your kind words. I teared up reading your post, thinking of my grandmother...she was my heart and if something happened to the jewelry she gave me I'd be devastated. (I'm calling my insurance agent today!)

I mostly only wear it, as I said for special occassions because, well, if you saw my wardrobe you'd understand ;)

I guess it all comes down to a comfort level. Good for you for not living in fear, in wearing what you want to wear because it makes you feel good and for not attaching yourself to material things. You said something interesting tho, about getting "special treatment" in certain circumstances, i.e., a tour of the Caves. I've been to the Caves several times. I was an invited guest to their private New Years Eve party this past New Years. I don't believe that was because of anything I wore, or anything I projected...I've been going to Negril for so long, I just know high people in places I guess. On New Years I wore a cocktail dress that I bought in a great thrift store in West Hollywood, price tag $7. My accessories were a rhinestone jewelry set...earrings and necklace (price tage $40, more than the dress, well...they are vintage pieces). Throw in a pair of 9 West strappy high heels I got eons ago...I looked hot. I felt hot.

I'm going to venture this theory in your specific case...it's not what you wore that got you the special treatment you mentioned. From your posts my guess it's who you are...special people deserve and get special things.

Bless,

Nikki

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewely

1 out of 4 mugged...might have exagerated....sorry. I think I heard it through something about ten years ago...

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewely

rawlus-good point on the watch. When my friend's house was robbed in February, one of the guests there was a pro photographer down to shoot the Bike Races. He had easily 10K worth of pro camera equipment sitting next to his bed.

The thieves stole the watch. His wallet too, with $150US in it.

He was really, really bummed about the watch as his mother had given it to him and she had just passed on.