We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about using debit cards and currency

Which Negril hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
question about using debit cards and currency

hi, ill be going to negril from june 18 to 25th and i was wondering what kind of currency should i bring since i live in canada . is it better to bring canadian dollars or change it to u.s dollars before i come there. i also have a canadian debit card with scotiabank and in jamaica do they take debit cards or is it better to bring travelers checks?

United States
Level Contributor
11,249 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

See the following for which currency to use

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c140152/Jamai…

Bring your Scotiabank card. There is a branch in Negril. For ATM locations see

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-s601/Jamaica:…

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

Your debit card will work, I would leave the travelers checks...maybe get american but your debit card will work.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

I beleive the BNS ATM in Negril is dual currency, you can get JMD or USD.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

your debit card will work in the bank machines (scotiabank is one of their biggest banks down there), not sure if it will at POS (point of sale, nothing to do with Trinidad :) ), i've actually never tried...

and yes the Scotiabank in Negril centre dispenses both USD and JMD.... with a scotia card from canada there are no service fees and you get a market exchange... I lived off my Scotiacard for 7m without issue :)

Chelle

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

I used the Scotia bank near the roundabout and withdrew JMD directly. As a Canadian I don't see why you'd need to have USD at all (or double-exchange Canadian, to USD, to JMD).

suze

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

yes, no need at all to get or bring USD.

Simply bring your Scotiabank card to get JMD, easy peasy, best rates.

We ordered Jamaican dollars from our bank at home in Canada before our trip and it cost us far too much money, such a rip-off. Much smarter to simply get it there from the ATM.

7. Re: question about using debit cards and currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, May 31, 2012